Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfam125

? for GGG & anyone who knows of any nice nurseries?

Hi girlgroupgirl or anyone!!

GGG, you mentioned on the cottage forum a neat nursery you went to with unique plants and I was wondering if you would tell me the name of it and maybe how to get to it.

If theres anyone else out there that knows of some neat places to visit I would love to hear about them. I love to go to new nurseries.

Thanks a bunch, Judy

Comments (15)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Autumn Hill Nursery in Woodstock (just north of Roswell/Crabapple, not near I-575) has a great collection of Roses and other stuff as well, including cute art.

Not far from there is Scottsdale Farms (Alpharetta/Milton) - they are rather upscale. Erica Glasener will be speaking there on Saturday, April 9th.

Both of them have websites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scottsdale Farms events

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks esh! I am going to both of them this Friday. I love them both and I am picking up a few roses at Autumn Hill. They both seem to have some different plants that our local HD & Lowes doesn't carry. I know there's one road maybe 20 that has ALOT of nurseries on it. I love to visit other nurseries that are kinda off the road but have great stuff. Thanks again, Judy

• bagsmom
    13 years ago

I'm not sure where you are, but Lost Mountain Nursery on Dallas Highway (leaving Marietta to town of Lost Mountain) is really nice. Sort of small and partially nestled in a wooded area. Check to be sure they are still around. I haven't been there in a while, but I loved it!

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I hear good things also about Twin Branch Nursery in Woodstock (near 92).

Here is a link that might be useful: Twin Branch

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks you guys. I am about an hour north of Marietta but I will definitely check out both places. Thanks again, Judy

• tifbee
    13 years ago

If you are near or in Gwinnett County, Randy's Nursery in Lawrenceville is cool. They have an indoor butterfly garden with real butterflies fluttering amongst the plants, and every possible tropical plant you can grow in our climate.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

GardenHood on Boulevard, just down the street from Oakland Cemetary and around the corner from the zoo (and across from Stone Soup Kitchen, so you can make a nice day of it) is a very specialized nursery. Two of the owners own their own nurseries: one for perennials the other for shrubs! Fridays often have martinis and a drink before closing, Saturdays often have talks and presentations. It's very unique, small and the kids can say hey to the chickens and doves.
    Not stocked with annuals quite yet, they were getting in a nice selection of herbs the other day. Loaded with great shrubs. Not cheap, but competative.
    4" perennials, 350 varieties, all $1.50 ea., Helleborus, 1 gal. grafted Japanese maples, $20-$25, display garden. Selah Ahlstrom Jackson 770-775-4967 This is the person I was speaking of, Prettypetals. She carries many things she has bred from stock of very specialized nurseries. I hear the display gardens are something to see!
    Georgia Perimeter College Botanical Gardens sales have many hard to find and unusual native plants.
    Look for community garden and church sales. April 9th weekend both The Episcopal Church of the Holy Comforter and Oakhurst Gardens are having plant sales. Normally they both have excellent selections of hard to find vegetables in the trade, and some interesting plants. Sometimes the plants are either unusual, or old fashioned pass-a-longs that can cost quite a bit in the nursery because they are heirlooms, but are cheap at the sales (and money goes to a great cause!).

GGG

• pabloverde
    13 years ago

Hi All,

I don't post often, but this topic is just too good.

I've been to all of the places mentioned except Lost Mountain. Nothing but great things to say about each. Lost Mountain's web site is active so I guess I'll make a road trip.

Here's a couple of unusual places that I've enjoyed:

Bannister Creek Nursery in Duluth is has lots of unusual conifers, rock garden type plants and japanese maples. Definitely not your run of the mill stuff.

Peachstate Orchids in Woodstock has a huge greenhouse full of, you guessed it: Orchids. And other tropicals. Just a lot a fun to see, even if you aren't into orchids.

I've heard about Maple Ridge Nursery in Decatur but haven't made it there yet. Conifers and Maples.

Keep them coming!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks a bunch GGG!!! I will definitely check them out. I love to go to different nurseries when I have time because lots of times you can find things at special nurseries than you can at say a HD or a Lowes.

Hi Pabloverde! Thanks for your suggestions too. I have tried to no avail with orchids but it does sound like a beautiful place to visit.

Oooooooo Tifbee, The butterfly garden sounds tooooo pretty. Not real sure how far Lawrenceville is but I will check it out too.

Thanks again everyone and like pabloverde says "keep em coming"!!!

• scmatlanta_gw
    13 years ago

If you're in the Atlanta area on Saturday, April 30th, 9am - 1pm, check out the DeKalb Master Gardener Association Spring Plant Sale at Northlake Mall. Lots of locally grown shrubs and perennials, all tough and adapted to our climate, sold at fantastic prices. Proceeds go towards horticultural scholarships for local students and DMGA educational causes.

Here is a link that might be useful: DeKalb Master Gardener Association

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thats interesting scmatlanta! I will try to remember the date. Thanks, Judy

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

scmatlanta - another old friend we haven't seen in a while! Hope you have been well. That sounds like a big sale.

• scmatlanta_gw
    13 years ago

Hi esh
    Thanks, I'm very well. It IS a big sale and every year we have loyal regulars lining up outside, champing at the bit! So, if you're planning to come, best to be there at 9am! Although later on, there are still many bargains to be had and lots of friendly and knowledgeable Master Gardeners there to advise you. Our plants come from various digs in DeKalb county - sometimes homeowners ask us to come and help them thin shrubs and perennials in their yards, some of the plants come from members' own yards, sometimes we propagate them ourselves from seed, cuttings or layering techniques - hydrangeas are a great example of that!
    Anyway, all the plants will have found good homes by 1pm.

• moonphase
    13 years ago

GGG,a while back you sent me the name and address of a nursery for apricot trees.I think you told me it was in elijay? Am I close..lol my memory goes on vacation at times.If you remember,will you tell me again.I want to get some fruit trees,blue berries bush's etc..Thanks
    moonphase

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Hi Moonphase! I hope you are well!
    Johnson's is in Elijay. I'm not sure if they have apricots in this catalog. It changes every year and if something is not doing well for their customers they may remove it. Still sometimes those plants are propagated and sold on site.
    They of course have blueberries and so does Bottoms (I forgot where they are located). We have purchased from both regularly have been quite pleased.

Sponsored