Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chezron

Have you seen Hummingbirds yet!

chezron
15 years ago

Hi all. According to the Hummingbird migration map hummingbirds are in Georgia now. Has anyone seen any yet! I can't wait to have them back!

Comments (23)

• shot
    15 years ago

According to my past records, that will be the 22nd of March.

We have feeders up in the front and back.

Shot

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I "think" I saw one earlier this week. I had to do a double take because I was sure it was too early. I wish I had sat there longer to get a better look. I'm so happy to hear that I wasn't seeing things:)

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

I never really see them until late fall. Maybe because I don't have too many flowers except for honeysuckle blooming now when they want them?

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

I must not be on the flyway for their northward migration, as I can't recall ever seeing one in the springtime.
    I used to hang the feeders on the first day of spring or at first reports of sightings, but never had any stop by to feed. So after a few years, I gave up.
    Fall is a different story! They often arrive in large numbers and have terrible fights over territory. A couple of years ago, a pair came in and the female was sick. She sat on the perch near a feeder for most of the day, almost falling off at times. The male perched near another feeder about 20 feet away and watched over her. They left during the late afternoon and I searched all around the area, to see if she didn't make it, but found nothing.
    I felt so sad for her, because she appeared so weak and knowing that she probably wasn't going to make it to their wintering grounds.

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

I haven't spotted a hummingbird this year but did sight my first snake of the season this morning after he slithered out of the bamboo grove and almost under the front driver's side wheel of the car--a black snake, I believe.

On a yard tour this morning, I was delighted to see a host of bees--honeybees and bumblebees--making busy among the blossoms of our Yoshino cherry and crabapple, also among the blooms of the 'Magnoliaeflora' camellias. The springtime buzzing of the bees and the chorus of sprinpeepers in the swamps and wetlands are things I look forward to every year.

• opal52
    15 years ago

Last year we saw the first one at our feeder on March 28th. We have feeders up already though just in case we get early visitors. It would be so nice if they showed up to help us celebrate the arrival of spring.

• chezron
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jay,
    I so LOVE the song of the Spring Peeper! Today I saw my first bumblebee! Exciting! I did put out hummingbird feeders today. This is also the time of year I watch the buds swell of my native azaleas and Red buckeyes and hope the hummingbirds will take advantage of the nectar when they bloom.

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

The firespike, or scarlet flame (_Odontonema strictum_) would be a fine patio plant to use as a hummingbird attractant in Zone 7b. It's a hardy perennial in Zones 8 and higher, but a little frost sensitive in 7b. It is a fast-growing, handsome tropical looking plant with huge, dark-green, veined leaves. It develops many stems during the growing season. They are topped with spikes of small, dark red, tubular flowers that are hummingbird magnets.

• opal52
    15 years ago

Saw the first male Ruby Throated Hummingbird of the season (at our feeders) this morning. It brightened a cloudy overcast day.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Haven't seen one yet, but my buckeyes are almost ready for them. Here is a picture from last year (taken about mid April) - those flowers are perfect for hummers:

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

they are in auburn, al on march 28 of this year. the red buckeyes are in full bloom here, also. those two just go together and arrive in tandem each season.

• nancybea
    14 years ago

I am near Athens and I saw my first one today at the feeder I had put up "just in case". Now I'll have to hustle and get some more feeders out.

• holton
    14 years ago

No Hummers here yet. I ready though.

Nine Buckeye bush.

• razorback33
    14 years ago

Saw the first one, a female Ruby-throat, just after dawn on Saturday.
    She was checking out some red-blooming Azaleas by my bedroom window. I have several red Mandevillas in bloom, maybe that what attracted her. Haven't hung feeders this year, as I don't usually see them in the spring.
    Rb

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Saw my first one yesterday - attracted to one of the red buckeyes. Luckily the cat next to me didn't see it ....

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I've seen them around for the last week. I have a lot of things blooming though.

• backyardbrug
    14 years ago

saw the first hummer last week. My feeders are now filled and ready.

• destin3g99
    14 years ago

I'm in East Atlanta area. I've have two feeders up for a few weeks now. I saw my first hummer checking one of them out yesterday. The rest of my feeders our full and ready now.

• natalie4b
    14 years ago

Saw one few days back. Love these buzzing guys!

• mid12nt
    14 years ago

I saw one this week sipping from my pink formosa azalea bushes. I thought at first it was a bumble bee, but no, it was definitely a hummingbird, I've never seen one this early, usually I don't see them till mid summer so it was a shock to see it. I've not seen any since, but the tangerine crossvine is blooming on the front of my house and I've put out a hummingbird feeder so if there are any more, there is food for them.

I was going to remove the crossvine this year (the orange flowers don't compliment my house), but seeing that hummer this early made me immediately change my mind.

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

I was just looking over some notes from last year and found that my first hummer was April 9. Pretty amazing to see the first ones on almost the same day the next year. I did not remember writing that down!

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

Well shoot I thought I had posted something before my above post. I typed it and somehow forgot to hit "submit"! Anyway my first hummer for this year was April 10. I was just standing close to a feeder and he came swooping in!

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Do they ever sit and relax?
    Amazing creatures.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA