Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alpharetta_gw

anyone grows moringa oleifera horseradish in atlanta?

alpharetta
16 years ago

I want to give MORINGA OLEIFERA HORSERADISH a try in my gadern. I read lot of good thing about it. Anyone has grown this and your experience? Is it worth to try?

Thanks

Alpharetta

Comments (15)

• herboil
    16 years ago

Hello, I have grown horseradish in my yard.

Not sure on the specific varriety though.

Here's my experience.... got a root off ebay from up north, it grew tall and well and gave me a nice jar of sauce for my shrimp.

Also bought some root from the store and planted it... grew and did well this late summer and fall, then died off.

Now, I have horse planted all over the yard in root cuttings, but none have come up.

I heard horse was HARDY and grew well in cool weather, YET, I have only one place where the root is growing above surface now.

I doubt not it will do well sooner or later, I had just expected it to be huge by now.

Perhaps drought killed some of my root cuttings, perhaps the mild winter did as well( or even the switch from a hot GA summer to a snow ro two this year)

It's worth it if it's not too expensive, it will grow big here in the summer.

Good luck

• alpharetta
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Herboil, Thanks a lot for sharing the experience. I am going to grow moringa with seeds. I will keep the progress posted.

• herboil
    16 years ago

Update on the Horseradish....

WHile I was working yesterday and the day before, I noticed at least five plants coming up from root cuttings that I had made... Seems like the ones I have like hot weather...

Also, the homegrown roots are sooo spicy and soooooo tasty.. Nothing compared to that terrible preserveative filled sauce you buy at the store.

• gpetersen120_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have 2-seedlings growing indoors. One is already about 4-inches tall. We will transplant them to large pots and put them outside in the summer then bring them back in when temperatures drop for the winter. I have heard of the plants growing as far north as Kansas so we should be able to grow it in Georgia. The sad part is it will die off in the winter unless protected as it does not tolerate cold tempuratures.

We recently moved here (Buford) from Hawaii where Moringa, or Malunggay, as we call it, grows wild. It was a regular part of our diet (leaves and bean pods) and we miss it very much. Especially my wife, who is from the Philippines, where it is a major source of food.

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Alpharetta (Phi) and Gilbert are not talking about what we consider horseradish. Check out this link for some fascinating reading.

Welcome to Buford, Gilbert. Hope you have success with this fascinating plant.

Rosie, next door in Sugar Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: moringa oleifera

• tjani
    13 years ago

Buford, Rosie...we should get together and have our own plant exchange or drink tea...I am next door in Suwanee
    :-)

@Herboil:"Now, I have horse planted all over the yard ...., but none have come up"

Did you kill them? How many?

• alpharetta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The moringa oleifera so known as Miracle tree is not doing well in Atlanta area. I was able to grow them from seeds, but all died in the winter...

Anybody has success with moringa oleifera here in GA? if yes, what is your zone?

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Tjani, would love to meet both you and Buford. Please contact me!

• tjani
    13 years ago

RoseMary....just sent you e-mail.
    Will wait on Buford!

• tjani
    13 years ago

Alpharetta, I found following link when googled. Apparently it should grow in zone 8B.

http://www.georgiavines.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=522

• buford
    13 years ago

You moved from Hawaii to Buford! Oh my.

Sure we should have a meet, that sounds like fun. It will have to be on a weekend since I do work full time.

• eileenaz
    9 years ago

I live in Tucson, not Atlanta, but will share my experience with you. Every on that I've transplanted has died. I'm quite experienced at that, and tried several variations on the transplant theme, to no avail. The one I have left in the tiny little pot dies back summer and winter but always comes back, and even bloomed this year. I guess I'll give it a go and transplant this one and see if it survives, but I'm going to wait until it's dormant.

• Rosa Galavis Cantú
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have grown Moringa from seed last year in Dawsonville GA (North). I started the seeds indoors in tall disposable cups. I am growing more this year. Seeds take around 10 to 14 days to germinate, providing temperatures between 70 or higher. I transplanted out in the garden the first week of May. They love lots of sun and warmth, and they dislike fertilizers. You can grow it as an annual, or plant in big pots to bring inside when temperature drops below 70 in fall.

If you intend to consume it, plant many.