Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

What's your favorite pink hydrangea?

girlgroupgirl
14 years ago

What is your favorite, fuss free pink hydrangea. I'm looking for a larger one and a smaller one, I think.

Thanks!

GGG

Comments (7)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

By "pink", do you mean Hydrangea macrophylla? I thought you can't get pink unless you have the right acidity (see link below):

For hydrangea blooms to be pink, the plants must not take up aluminum from the soil. If the soil naturally contains aluminum, one must try to keep it away from the hydrangea's system.

The exception is that you can now buy "pink" Hydrangea arborescens (that is, pink Annabelles).

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting pink

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

GGG -- would the Lady in Red be considered a deep pink? I have just plain jane hydrangeas, and they are deep, purpley blue.

Doesn't the Oakleaf Hydrangea go through a phase where the edges of the petals get pink? Maybe in the Fall, as the blooms are drying? I've never had luck growing one of those, sadly.

I love hydrangeas!!!!!!

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, esh, I need to adjust soil for a pink flower hydrangea but I've got some raised bed areas or mini-terraces and that should be fairly easy. I need pink in the back.
    And yes, bagsmom, some of the Oakleaf Hydrangeas dry to a pinkish color, especially in a dry fall. I plan to have a nice area of those too. I would just like some flowering earlier in the season with a pink color. I've tried to grow a few here, but since that time my back yard has undergone many changes.

• bobbygil
    14 years ago

Hyd. Paniculata Quick Fire is a easy early bloomer that grows to like 6-7 x 6-7 pink that turns to rosy pnk in the fall.
    Hyd. involucrata is a lacecap that is small, 3-4 x 3-4. mine goes pink to lilac.
    Hyd Minnie Penny, you could turn it to pink and its only 3 x 3. deadhead and it reblooms. real easy
    Hyd Serrata Miranda is a 4 x 4 thats one of my favorite. It goes pale pink to red.
    Hyd. pan. Dharuma is 3 x 3 white to pink
    Those are some that I have that come close to pink I guess. A lot of the well know easy blues you could change over to pink like Endless Summer and Blue bird etc

• jeff_al
    14 years ago

for a smaller to mid-sized shrub, i like h. serrata 'preziosa'. the flowerheads are not as large as typical mopheads and stay upright. the flowers go through several phases of color change, ending up a dark pinkish burgundy. my shrub will have pink, white and reddish purple colors on it at the same time (if you like that effect). the stems are burgundy as are the newly emerging leaf borders.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'preziosa'

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    14 years ago

Hey, Theres a new pink hydrangea called Invincibelle Spirit and its the pink version of Annabelle. So can't wait to get my hands on it this spring or summer. It looks so pretty and I hope it lives up to the advertisement. Plus I have the worst luck with mopheads, can only grow limelights really good. Theres also a new smaller version of limelight called Little Lime I think. Judy

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like that you offered some smaller sizes, thank-you for wonderful descriptions everyone! There are some great possibilities. My goal is to hopefully plant a ring of white flowering plants near the patio, but beyond that the color scheme is purple and lime foliage (as it is all over my garden) with pink, orange and yellow flowers. That may be way too bright for some, but bright has never failed me yet :) I like day-glo and neon! So the pink hydrangas can be planted in front of the small terracing but also larger plants above or in the terraces.
    Thanks!
    GGG

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath