Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant peanuts?

Posted by bugtussellmom 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 22:13

In my zone, when are my planting dates for peanuts?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant peanuts?

Where did you buy raw peanuts to plant from?
Thanks,

o

Mine came from Southern Seed Exchange. Normally I would not plant until May after the main drenching spring rains are past and the ground is very warm.

o

Do they take a lot of room? Would they be a good thing to interplant in my potato patch?

o

trivedi_south - I have not found any. I'm about to try what the other poster mentioned. My husband is looking around town tomorrow. I entered "peanut" into the search at rareseeds.com and came up with nothing.

o

Can we put in raw store bought peanuts (another dumb question)

:-)

Wonder if someone else has tried it before me....and dangers of doing so....

Thanks everyone....you guys are awesome.

o

I think you need to be careful and use seed peanuts. You can also try a farm store for the seed source.

I don't think interplanting with potatoes or other root veggies is a good idea. There is another thread on this forum from last year where a gardener grew peanuts. They take up a lot of room and have very dense growth under the foliage - tons of peanuts!!!
I'm going to be growing them under the sunniest sides of trees, and in areas where I will be working on soil building or just need "something" in the soil for a season and then cover crop it afterwards. I think the greens from the tops would make excellent green compost to turn under the soil.

o

Ok, so I just bought peanuts from Southern Seed Exchange. I have harvested peanuts a couple of times but never planted them. I was about to say that no, potatoes would not be ideal :) planted among peanuts. It's tough getting them out of the ground...or maybe its because our soil has a lot of clay. The potatoes would not have room to grow.

Thanks for the help groupgirl!

The cover-crop idea must be a good one because I remember my father telling me the same thing many years ago. I'm just now getting into gardening though. Wish I had paid better attention back then!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here