Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfam125

Any local iris farms to visit and buy from??

Hi, I was thinking I might try to grow some iris and was wondering if there are any iris farms that you can purchase from anywhere near NW Ga ? Thanks, Judy

Comments (16)

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Judy, don't know of any farms, but you'd be most welcome to come here and take some of mine - mostly blues and purples - in need of thinning.

Rosie, Sugar Hill

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rosie you are toooooo sweet. I really do love purples in anything. When I make up my mind I will send you an email if thats okay. I am still trying to decide if I am going to try to add some this year or wait til next. I have several areas that would be perfect for them I think so I will let you know if I decide to add some. Not quite sure where Sugar Hill is but I will look it up. I live in Calhoun. Thanks again for being so kind to divide yours with me. Judy

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Judy, FYI Sugar Hill is east of Cumming on GA Hwy 20.

• buford
    13 years ago

Sugar Hill is right next to Buford! If you need some white bearded iris, come to my house after Rosies. I started out with 3 and now have hundreds.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Rosie and buford. Do you guys know each other? I looked up Sugar Hill and its not real far so I will try to hurry and decide if I want to start them this year. Thanks to you too buford for offering me some white ones. I will send you two and email when I decide. Thanks a bunch, Judy

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I don't know of a single iris farm in Georgia either. I think because they have such a short season for sales here, their blooms are so fleeting in hot weather compared to many places they grow farther North of us.

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

I have the following:
    -yellow double bearded iris
    -maroon/burgandy with yellow eye double bearded iris
    -lavender
    -white

Willing to share whatever you want/need because they naturalize so well in my yard. I think in the past 4 years, I've shared more than 200.

Dora

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow Dora, they must do well for you to have already shared more than 200. You are very sweet for offering and I will email you when I decide what to do. Thanks so much, Judy

• bobbygil
    13 years ago

There is a small Iris and Daylilly farm on Birmingham highway about a mile before you get to Scottsdale Farm nursery. It's the front lawn of 2 teachers but they have a nice selection. You pick out what you want and they dig it up. Cash only and not really sure if they are open yet

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

bobbygil - you're still here! Missed you.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Bobbygil,
    I would love to visit that place. A friend of mine, who is not a gardener, but drives by them every day, told me last year about this place, that had sign "Daylilies for sale", and I asked her to be on a lookout this year. She said so far no sign yet.
    I will let everyone know when they put a sign up.
    Daylilies and Iris have special powers - my knees get weak when I see them in nurseries, and they just follow me home :).

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Natalie - perhaps you need some japanese roof iris in the swap? I have some that needs to be reduced!

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Esh - I would LOVE some! Thank you so much!

• bobbygil
    13 years ago

Esh...Yup still here. Just dont come on all that often. Hope everything is going good with you.

Natalie...I think that place opens when school is out maybe. If you get weak knees from Daylilies take a ride up to Athens area http://www.simontonbridgedaylilies.com/index.html

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Mark your calendars for April 16th - this is the day "Iris and Daylilies Farm" on Birmingham Hwy. opens up for public. Can't wait!
    MP Flowers
    15230 Birmingham Highway
    Alpharetta, GA 30004
    They offer more then 400 Tall Bearded Iris varieties.

• buford
    13 years ago

oh, I may have to check that out. Along with the white bearded, I have some Siberian Iris (that I thought I killed when I replanted last year, but they came back, only to have the deer chomp on them!) I also have some nice dark purple Louisiana Iris that love the wet spot at the bottom of my stone steps.

Iris do so well, that when I thinned mine out last year and put the scraps in the compost pile, I now have about 15 sprouting out from that pile. Along with some mystery vegetable. I think parsnip from Thanksgiving.

And yes, Buford is next to Sugar Hill. I am very close to Sugar Hill, about 1/2 mile west of Peachtree Industrial Road north of SR 20.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting