Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aqrose

Grower's outlet?

aqrose
19 years ago

Anybody been lately? What do they have now? I'm planning a trip tomorrow (Tuesday 3/29) and was wondering if it was worth the trip?

Thanks!

Comments (29)

• Kathy Bochonko
    19 years ago

So how was it? Did you go? Did you happen to notice if they had any Gardenias? I need about 3 August Beauty. I was thinking about taking a ride there next week.

• aqrose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Didn't make it today. Will try again tomorrow and give a report if I'm successful. :)

• Csea
    19 years ago

Where is the grower's outlet?

• aqrose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

On 78 in Loganville behind the QT.
    Here's my report:
    Azaleas out the wazoo($?). daffodils, crocus, & hyacinths $0.50 a pot, bearded iris $2.50 each or 5 for $10. Thrift (can't remember price), begonias, impatiens, marigolds ($6 a flat or $1/6-pack), same for dusty millers. Easter lilies, foxgloves, coreopsis ($2.50), stella d'or daylilies, iris reticula (sp?), hostas $1 4-inch pot or $3 for larger size. Really large gardenias for $7.50. Hanging flower baskets $4.
    That's all my very tired self can remember.
    I saw a sign near the register that listed what was coming in when...Can't remember everything there, but saw that the dahlias are due in week of April 15th.
    Not the best selection, but not too shabby either.

• sandyshorts
    19 years ago

Oh I need to go buy several flats of Hyacinths... They still have alot??

• aqrose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

They did when I was there. I think they were all pink. A very pretty pink. And very, very fragrant. I was going to get a few, but my sister & I went in her car & she's allergic to them. Just standing next to them set her allergies off, so I wasn't going to put them in a car with us for the long trip home. :) Don't know if they'll still be there now at those prices.
    We each bought 5 irises since they were 5/$10, but our carts were so full it was hard to keep track of what was on it. When we got home and started dividing up the loot, it turned out we only had 9 instead of the 10 we thought we had. :( We really should have gotten 3 carts instead of overloading 2, but they're such a pain to drive, I don't think we could have managed them.

• Kathy Bochonko
    19 years ago

Any idea if those gardenias were August Beauty? I really want 3 August Beauty's to plant under a window by our new deck, it would be worth the drive just for those alone if thesy ahve them for that price.

• aqrose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

No, I'm sorry. I don't know what variety the gardenias were. There were no names on the plants. One of them was even labeled as a type of holly, but it definitely was NOT a holly bush.

• bmmalone
    19 years ago

any one been this weekend? do they still have daylilies?

• bugsmom
    19 years ago

yes, daylilies, lots of flats of annuals dianthus, impatiens, begonias, gerber daisies, elephant ears, perrenials....but...way too crowded for my taste...I knew better than to go on a Saturday...oh yeah, I got lots of those new guinia (sp?) impatiens

• dparkman Parkman
    18 years ago

Has anyone been to Shumake's Daylily Garden? I found this last week. She has daylillies, beautiful varities of hosta, iris. A lovely place. It's 3/12 miles north of Jerrerson on Academy Church Road.

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

i went for the first time today and wow, the prices were good! I bought a truck full of plants. Now I just need the time to plant them......... good job its a holiday weekend!

• aqrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Can you remember what they had out there? Varieties and prices?
    Thanks!

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

lots of day lillies for $1, small hosta for $1, foxglove $2.50, coreopsis $2.50, shasta daisies $2.50, annuals $6 flat, tiger lillies $1, dahlias $2.50, grasses, black eyed susan $? . If you let me know what you are looking for I may remember more!

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

bmmalone, I went today too, wouldn't that be funny if I talked to you and didn't even know you were a fellow "Georgia Gardener?"

aqrose-- here is a sampling (I got 2 carts full btw)

flat of moss roses $3.50
    1 gal hostas $3 each or 4 for $10
    4" Gerbera Daisies $1.50
    Astd 1 gal per $3 each or 4 for $10
    red hot poker
    tickseed coreopsis
    various shasts daisies
    rudbeckia
    phlox
    sedum

4" plants for $1 each
    New guinea Impatience
    tons of hostas
    Palace Purple Heuchera
    dwarf monkey grass
    varigated liriope
    vinca minor
    wintercreeper
    Mrs. Bradshaw
    Veronica Speedwell

Tons of annuals but I don't remember all the prices,but they had wave petunias, impatience, Mexican heather, purple fountain grass, hanging baskets were $4 each or 3 for $10.

Very little in the way of shrubs, the few they had didn't look so hot but there was a note that said they were getting Leyland Cypress tomorrow. Hope that helps

• aqrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, it does. Thank you! I may just have to make the drive over from Athens to load up again. :) I just put in a new rose bed that could use some prettying up while I wait for the roses to do their thing. I need to get something to use as a living mulch. I was thinking sweet alysum, but petunias and impatiens would look good too.
    Thanks again!

• MommytoBoys
    18 years ago

Wow this place sounds neat! Does anyone know where the closest one to Dallas would be? Or do they have a website?

• stonybrook
    18 years ago

The only outlet is in Loganville, near their greenhouses.
    Quite a trek from Dallas. Website is on link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growers Outlet

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

Keep in mind it is hit or miss. I have heard you are best to go just prior to the weekend as they get really busy on the weekends. At this time of year, you may find some great deals locally as many nurseries start to put things on sale. I found that many of the items need some tlc as well.

• MommytoBoys
    18 years ago

Thanks for the link to the website! Maqquest says its about 1 hour 45 mins away from here. Hubby says I'd get lost if I tried to find it on my own (sad but true huh?!) he works in Norcross though so maybe I can bribe him to go there and pick up a few things =)

• jeffreyd
    18 years ago

I was at Grower's Outlet yesterday, 4/1. Saw lots of Ice Carnival daylilies, dwarf gardenias, but no 'August Beauty", a couple Hosta varieties, still lots of Helebores... azaleas, dwarf hollies, Brugsmanias, strawberries in hanging baskets and some annuals. A few camelias, too. Ferns in baskets, uh... tropical hibiscuses... hybiscusi?

Antique roses are due on 4/6.

Does anyone know their web address? I can't seem to find it.

• woody_ga
    18 years ago

I was there yesterday too! I got so much for $50.00!

• aqrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I wonder what kind of antique roses? Does anyone know?
    Thanks!

• garden_graphic_gal
    18 years ago

Dparkman~~Shumakes Daylilies: I have not been there. Do you have directions? What type of peices do they have?

• garden_graphic_gal
    18 years ago

My typing sucks this morning: I found the directions to Shumake's but what about "prices" on daylilies and hostas??

• dparkman Parkman
    18 years ago

Sorry, I have been gone. Shumakes garden in on Highway 29 close to Jefferson on Academy Church Road (don't go into Jefferson proper).If you are coming from Athens you have to turn to the left on Academy Church Road (which is about 4 miles from I85). Its after Arcade almost to I85. The road signs are visable. The farm is about 2 miles down the road on the left. I went by there today to try to get a new price list but she wasn't there. Everything was well manicured but nothing blooming. I think you should wait probably till May. I'll travel over there again shortly and see about the prices and the blooms. Sorry, I couldn't find last year's list but will keep looking. Athens is bursting with blooms, all the azeleas and dogwoods by the university are beautiful.

• scotland1
    18 years ago

Dparkman, any idea what kind of hours ShumakeÂs keeps? My dad lives in Jefferson, so IÂm up there quite a bit. I never stopped in because I donÂt need any daylilies, and thatÂs all the sign says. Now that I know they have other things, IÂm going to go!

• dparkman Parkman
    18 years ago

I am not sure of the hours. This is her home. She retired and had always loved plants and just made it into a business. She has lots of iris and hosta also. It's a sweet place to walk through. I love walking through any garden. You might stop, but as I said, things were just beginning to grow so I'd wait a little. I plan to go back the first of May and see the progress. Debbs

Sponsored