Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trivedi_south

Planting outside

trivedi_south
14 years ago

Has anyone started to do transplant of their seedlings outside yet?

I would also like to know whats growing in everyone's jiffy pots :)))

Thx.

Comments (11)

• trivedi_south
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OH....I have put following seeds in the starter kits:

1)Tomato (yellow)
    2) Fennel
    3) Rosemary
    4) Watermelon
    5) several types of beans (asian variety too).
    6) Okra
    7) Basil
    8) corn
    9)pepper (yello) and eggplant...doesn't look like its gonna germinate

1. Bitter melon or indian karela

I haven't labeled things as accurately as I should have :(

• opal52
    14 years ago

We have transplanted kale seedlings, but so far that's it. We already have mature rosemary, thyme, sage, mint, chives and oregano plants that are breaking dormancy now. I have direct planted swiss chard also.

Growing in jiffy pots: Four types of tomatoes, mint, sage, thyme, chives (perennial herbs are to be gifts for two of my friends), leeks, zinnias, penstemons, basil, zucchini, two types of cucumbers. I plant to start watermelon seeds soon. Maybe more spring annual flowers.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I gave up on Jiffy pots, I found them fine in moist cooler weather but a challenge when it gets warmer and drier. So far, I bet this is a good year for 'em :)
    I don't have any summer veggies in yet. That is what today is for - planting summer veg seeds. My spring seeds are up, I'm harvesting the end of the winter veggies, and I have oodles of perennials and annuals already popping up from winter sowing.
    Yeah, spring!

• br33
    14 years ago

I have spinach-mustard- turnips- onions-lettuce and cabagge up. Potted up 56 toms today==56 more tomorrow and no I don`t plant that many but, my friends and neighbors love me each spring. Thank GOD winter is over and spring has sprung. Good LUCK AND GOD BLESS Bill

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

My goodness Bill! You keep busy! That seems like a lot of tomatoes.
    I planted onion sets for the first time yesterday, just an experiment to see how they do. I found that we don't need all the space for Spring veggies in our garden because I plant them so closely together, so I thought that I'd try the onions. Just to see. I don't even know if they are short day length or not.
    I'm eating turnips and mustard, have to plant more of each. I only grow Asian cabbages right now, so they are up and ready. Yesterday I gave up on my own mustard, and bought some from Oakhurst and planted it. I can never seem to get spinach up from seed on my own. Maybe next year when I build a little bottom heater box for myself, I'll have some better luck!

• alpharetta
    14 years ago

Speaking of Atlanta area, The best and fafest time to plant outside for veggie is after the last frost in April. That says after April 15-20. End of March and early april The weather looks good and few people buy plants from Lowe/HomeDepot(because they are selling them). they put them in the ground outside. The sad thing is that they likely will not survive the lastest frost/freez in mid of April.

• jvan
    14 years ago

I was at Home Depot and was amazed that they had all veggies and lots of flowers for sale already. it seemed a little early to me for planting tomato, peppers and such. is that ture? guess HD is just seeking to maximize sales.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

You buy tomatoes, it freezes...you need to run back and get more. That's why places carry tomatoes too early.

• trivedi_south
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"I'm harvesting the end of the winter veggies.."

OMG....I forgot I am talking to gardening gods here. :))))LOL. What are winter veggies that you harvested? I will make note and wait for next year.

I didn't even know that veggies grew in winter, GGG. How do you plant your veggies, if not in jiffy home starter kits (sorry dumb question, I know).

Thank you Alpharetta for the "when to plant outside question"...it was really-really cold/rainy here today.

Thx.
    Your brown thumb friend.
    Trivedi

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

The last expected frost date (with less than 10% chance after tg=hat)
    in our area is April 8, I think. By April 1st I will know if there will be one after that.
    If the trend holds, I am ready to get into partial gear
    by April 2nd or 3rd, with some calculated risk.
    My cold frame is getting jammed already and I can't take it anymore (grin, wink)

BTW, my potatoes are coming up already and my beans are sprouting in the cold frame.
    This is called "JUMP START".

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I am pretty careful after the last two years of late frost snatching away some early planted crops by farmer friends. I love my winter and spring veg so much, I'm never in a hurry!

Trivedi, I overwinter veggies in a raised bed with a frame and some plastic (small PVC hoop house, fits right over the bed, sheet plastic over top. Seal it up and I grow all winter).
    Cilantro
    Arrugula
    Broccoli
    brussels sprouts
    mustard
    turnip greens
    carrots
    dakon radish (you need cold tolerant type)
    kales of all kinds
    lettuces
    onions
    garlic (not under hoop)
    spinach
    fava beans
    endive
    heading chicories (Italian types that look like lettuces)
    Mizuna
    all kinds of cool weather loving Asian greens

I start things in plastic "trash" (see winter sowing forum on GW) in the winter (perennials), and veggies in the same containers but also soil blocks in small wooden flats when it gets a bit warmer. These I put in the cold frame but only to germinate if it's cooler, then outside they go without protect.
    The jiffy pots dried out a lot for me. They would just drive me nuts. Then I found my plants didn't break thru the container as well as I would like them too. So I gave up. I have another friend who uses them and it works for her every time. I think because she can put her seedlings outside right by the walk-out doors. She can see them and remember to water.