Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue hostas

Posted by NJG55 GA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 11 at 22:41

I've had good luck growing hostas for years in locations that range from nearly complete shade (under the eaves of the house and under the deck) to mostly sunny. I don't remember the names of the varieties I planted, but I'm thinking about trying some new ones, specifically some blue varieties. I gather that they need more shade than other colors. Are there any blues that are likely to do well in metro Atlanta, and what are the best light conditions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue hostas

The only 'blue' one I have is Krossa Regal. I have it in a huge pot on my back porch and it stays a beautiful blue every year UNLESS I let it get too much sun. Just a little too much sun (I try not to let it get any direct sun) and it turns green and stays that way for the rest of the season. I've heard that there are much better and improved varieties than the one I have so maybe someone else will chime in.

o

I had many blue hostas at one time. They received some light during the day and some shade. I found the blue were most intolerant to lack of moisture and poor drainage.

o

In my experience, blue hostas are more tolerable to sun. There are Big Daddy and Halcyon in my garden, and they stay strong where green ones are pouting.

o

they are very intolerant to about 4" of gravel. I think I forgot to mention that....they do not like to be stepped on repeatedly, or have 4" of gravel on their heads. Nope, they don't....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here