Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garedneck_gw

What gardens in Ga do you recommend i (we) visit?

garedneck
11 years ago

Hello,

I have been to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens, GIbbs Gardens, Callaway Gardens, Mercier Orchard and a few pick your own farms from the pick your own website. What other gardens and times of year do you recommend? I like flowers, landscape plants, orchards, vegetable gardens, etc.

PS- Sometimes i deviate my travels to go by hwy 41 in Marietta and Atlanta to see a former Post Property tulip display in the spring and their newer property by the river.

Comments (16)

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

Georgia State Parks are wonderful places to visit - full of natural beauty and historic relics. Buy a single year state parks pass and visit each one at no additional charge all year.

There are also National Parks in Georgia: http://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia State Parks

• ritmatt
    11 years ago

I'm planning a visit to Cox Arboretum in Canton soon. I've never been before, but it looks great. Visits available by appointment at a suggested donation of $7.50pp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cox Arboretum

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

Atlanta Botanical Garden tour! You get to snoop around in private gardens :)

• apprenticegardener
    11 years ago

Here are some suggestions:

Decatur Garden Tour--April 27 & 28. Includes access to Ryan Gainey's garden and the Woodlands Gardens, among many others. Gainey used sections of large crepe myrtles from my yard to construct many of the original pieces of garden "furniture" that adorned his original garden. Most of these are now gone, but I have always had a special appreciation for his design themes.

I was privileged to have resided in the white house that now serves as offices for the Woodlands Gardens while Dr. & Mrs. Morse, the original owners, lived on the property. This is truly a hidden treasure and is also open some weekends.

Georgia Perimeter College Botanical Garden, also open specific weekends.

State Botanical Garden of Georgia at the University. Proves that UGA is more than just a football school.

Enjoy all of them.

• ritmatt
    11 years ago

Oh, yes. I forgot about the State Botanical Garden. It's very nice and free to visit (though I think a small donation is suggested). Good one!

• frankielynnsie
    11 years ago

Camellia Garden
    One of the worldâÂÂs finest camellia collections exists at Massee Lane Gardens. The home of the American Camellia Society since 1968. Also have some plants for sale :c)

Gibbs Gardens-daffodils and spring flowering bushes/trees March 1 to April 14th Ball Ground, GA

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Everyone should see the Trial Gardens at UGA. Link below to the plant sale there in April.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant sale at UGA Trial Gardens

• ritmatt
    11 years ago

Following up on my post earlier in this thread, I did visit the Cox Arboretum with my wife and kids last weekend. Tom Cox himself, who lives on the property with his wife, gave us a tour of his gardens and he has many wonderful and interesting conifers. He's a very nice fellow and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit there. For anyone interested in conifers or for those that enjoy meeting nice people, I strongly encourage contacting Tom and making an appointment to visit!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cox Arboretum Visitor Opportunities

• garedneck
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Girl,

Just got a Botanical Gardens email about a May 11 and 12 garden tour of private residences which i will try to attend. Did it several years ago and guess whose house had all the gorgeous red tulips out front... why of course Post Properties founder John Williams!

There is a Smith Gardens in Cobb County i will check out sometime.

• buford
    11 years ago

Tucker also has a garden tour, this year it's on May 18th. Here is their FB page to follow for more info.

Tucker Historical Society

My Rose group is thinking of doing a tour of some members gardens. Not sure if we will be able to do it this year.

I did the Atlanta Botanical Tour one year. Some fabulous stuff. But most was done by professional landscapers (one had a paid rosarian on staff!).

• Suzanne Boesl
    11 years ago

I would like to invite everyone to visit Smith Gilbert Gardens in Kennesaw. It is a 16 acre collector's garden that includes a conifer garden, camellia garden, rose garden, children's vegetable garden, perennial garden and woodland walk. Bring a picnic lunch and spend the day at this beautiful garden. There is also a historic house that you can tour. I'm a volunteer and member of Smith Gilbert Gardens and it is one of my favorite places to relax and enjoy all that Mother Nature has to offer. Admission is $7 for adults, $6 for seniors and military, $5 for children. Kids 5 and under are free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith Gilbert Gardens

• mcleod
    10 years ago

Not a garden but if your into old farm tractors a visit to Inman Farm Days in Woolsey (Fayetteville) in September is well worth it. The state antique tractor club holds it's show there in conjuction with the heritage days. They also have working displays of a sawmill, syrup making the old fashioned kettle method, a moonshine still (non functioning sadly) and many other older farm activities. I'm there every year with the Henry County Beekeepers Association along with hundreds of other vendors. Well worth it if for no other reason than the fresh pork rinds and homemade icecream. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Inman Farm Days

• rosiew
    10 years ago

mcleod,

Appreciate hearing about the Inman Farm Days. If you can, I hope you'll post a reminder a week or two before this year's celebration.

Rosie

• garedneck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

http://www.atlantabotanicalgarden.org/events-classes/events/gardens-connoisseurs#node-1656

FYI- Annual ABG "Gardens for Connoisseurs" tour registration.

• fluffyflowers
    10 years ago

The small town of Indian Springs has a delightful garden. I wrote about it here and here.

I have a long list of garden tours going on in our state this spring on my website.

I agree that if you have the chance to get to the Decatur tour to see Ryan Gainey's garden I highly recommend it. His is one of the most romantic walled gardens I've ever seen. Its not for the clausterphobics out there but if you love lush & overgrown gardens with great bones his is one that you will love and can learn from.

Enjoy!

• Tiarella
    10 years ago

Have you visited the Atlanta History Center gardens? Since I like ephemeral wildflowers, I like to visit about May 1st, but there are several gardens so everyone should find their type of plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Atlanta History Center

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x