Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
40 degrees tonight, what the heck!

Posted by buford 7 NE GA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 0:27

I just brought in some Veggie plants I received on Monday. I was supposed to receive them on April 1st, but the mail order place was nice enough to delay them to the 15th because of the weather. Luckily I hadn't planted them yet, but I had them out on the deck to harden off.

I'm also worried about my roses bushes. Most are budding out now and if the temps go below 45, the rose buds can be damaged.

What is going on with this weather!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 40 degrees tonight, what the heck!

I'm near Braselton and I was feeling alright since they were only predicting mid 40's, but now it's Saturday morning and my phone says it's 37f!!!

Weatherman. The only job where you can always be wrong and still get paid.

o

Yeah, 39 here. My poor husband flew home from Chicago last night and got off the plane and was like 'what happened!'

o

All of my garden plants that were budding or in bloom fared just fine in the high 30's, even the toms and peppers seem unphased. But then I actually raised them in similar temperatures in the greenhouse to promote stockier plants even though they grow slower under those conditions.

It worked like a charm, they are the healthiest, biggest, bushiest young plants I've ever set out. Whether it adversely affects their mature height or production at all remains to be seen, this was something I tried based on reading info from the greenhouse growers forum. But so far so good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here