Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One last freeze tonight?

Posted by ritmatt GA 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 7:12

Weather forecasts show a low of 33 tonight where I live. I'm sure it will fall below that in some areas. Like most of you, I have lots of plants at risk. This time, I hope our weather forecasters are wrong!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One last freeze tonight?

My average last freeze is.....April 15th. Our forecast is calling for a low of 31f.

o

Forecast low is 29 here; glad I didn't plant my tomatoes yet; they will have to hang out in the garage tonight.

o

Low of 45 here tonight. We just put our tomatoes and peppers in yesterday. Either a cold spell every week or too much rain. We've never planted this late. About a month later than usual. It will be interesting to see how they grow.

o

Yeah, just when I thought this awful weather was over......

o

So I have everything in the ground already! What is the best way to protect tomatoes? Should I just put a sheet over them?

o

A bucket or box would be better, but put a rock/brick on top to keep them from blowing off.

o

Well, good luck everyone. I just got home from a long day at work (9:30pm), so I'm not going to be able to do much. 41 degrees right now. Hopefully it won't quite freeze.

o

Joanne Feldman is saying 32f at my house, but the thermometer on my porch shows 29f!

o

How'd the plants fare in your freeze? It hit me too, at 33 or slightly less. I have most of my vegies planted out and had to cover them with sheets, pots, etc. My pinapple salvia still got nipped lightly, as well as some of my moss roses that I missed covering but they'll be all right. Tomatoes, peppers, hostas, impatiens, etc all came through fine but they were covered.

A little late for us in GA to get a freeze in April but my husband remembers a snow storm late in the month years ago.

o

I remember that snow storm, too. It was a big one in mid-April, probably 17 or 18 years ago.

I think most of our plants came through fine, but it looks like one of my Japanese maples may be set back quite a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here