Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mk87_gw

Sharing Photos of Our Gardens

mk87
15 years ago

A few days ago, ollierose posted a link to some garden pix and it got me to thinking maybe it would be nice to start a thread where we can all post links to pix of our gardens. Sort of our own little spring garden tour! (Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere and I've missed it.) I'm sure we are all enjoying our perennials coming back or our trees blooming, etc and it might be fun to share.

Thoughts?

Comments (40)

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I think this is a great idea! I'll post mine again on here to get it started.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ollierose's Photobucket Page

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Please tour my garden in South Georgia, late April.
    Right now we're awaiting Lilies and Daylilies and a swell of perennials.

Click photo to see the Album.

• vicki7
    15 years ago

Your garden is breathtaking, Foxesearth! One thing I've never been able to grow for some unknown reason is echinacea. Thanks for sharing!
    Vicki

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Great pictures Foxesearth! Thanks for sharing!!

• mk87
    Original Author
    15 years ago

foxesearth -- I love the California Poppies and the "mystery" Gaillardia. (Wish some of those kind of "mysteries" would happen in MY landscape! The only things that pop up where they aren't supposed to in my yard are fire ant beds and weeds!) :)

• pam_3
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing everyone! I love that Tiki Torch Coneflower, ollierose. And I love your gardens, foxesearth. I also like the mysetery Gaillardia.
    Here's a link to my garden blog, if you'd like to see some of my pics. Warning...I'm no designer! :)

http://www.evansgardenjournal.blogspot.com/

• mk87
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pam_3: You have some great plants!

• sinai
    15 years ago

I live right across the state line and was born in Georgia, can I get in on this?.....:)

Paul from Alabama

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden photos

• lzygrdner
    15 years ago

here's my link...

Here is a link that might be useful: garden photostream

• lzygrdner
    15 years ago

pam 3, one of your unknown clematis (the dark red/maroon one) looks like "niobe to me...Harriet

• pam_3
    15 years ago

Thanks, Harriet! I loved your photos. Especially the one with the little boy with the big broom. So cute! Are those poppies? Every thing is just beautiful.

Paul, I love all of your borders. I wish I had a better eye for design!
    Pam

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Beautiful pictures everyone!!

• sinai
    15 years ago

Thanks Pam I appreciate your comments....In design I've found its easier to move things around on graph paper but not as much fun as with a shovel......:

I posted some more photos today, this time of year seems like you got something new to photograph everyday or so....new things blooming and other things that already bloomed are blooming more.....

Paul from Alabama

Here is a link that might be useful: New Photos, New Blooms, Same Old Photographer: Again

• yomamanem
    15 years ago

Say good-bye to this garden. I am moving to my new house where I will start over. Already got a lot of hardscape installed but it will take a while to have that mature look. Here is my picture chronicle of my current garden:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/yomamanem

• jennifratrix
    15 years ago

Just took a bunch of shots today. Like Paul said, tons of things blooming!

http://picasaweb.google.com/jennifratrix/May42008GardenPhotos/photo#s5196302103464486818

Wow Yomamanem, starting over completely! You must be bursting with impatience for plants to grow up-- at least I know I would be :) Nothing teaches patience like gardening, though...

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's garden May 4 2008

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

My roses are in full bloom. Despite needing more rain, I was glad it held off so the roses didn't fall apart already!

GGG
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v192/girlgroupgirl/2008%20Electric%20Garden/?start=20

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

Beautiful, everyone, really! Harriet what are the variegated plants in the photo titled--Harriet Spring 07 Garden 031. Glynis glad to see most of your beautiful garden has survived the tornado damage from earlier this spring. One of these days I'll take some pictures of my yard. So much to do first.

• lzygrdner
    15 years ago

the variegated plants are an iris. see link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: iris pallida

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

Very nice, I'll have to add them to my wish list.

• mayland
    15 years ago

My garden is just getting started so I don't have any full beds yet. I have been working on planting shrubs (and then moving them when i realise I have put them in the wrong places!), but I still have lots of gaps to fill. I've put in only a few perennials so far -- I plan to get the shrubs right first, and then to start on the perennials this fall.

I planted 4 rhododendrons and then moved 3 of them as i realised the first spot was too sunny. Here are Maximum Roseum, "Scintillation", and Holden in their new spot, which has filtered morning sun and afternoon shade.

The sea of ivy behind them will be ripped out soon!

This is a Nova Zembla, which i did leave in the full sun as it looked happy. If it struggles through the summer, I will move it in fall. (The mondo behind is also on its way out -- its spreading everywhere).

{{gwi:386735}}

And a translucent Cotinus "Grace":

Next weekend we are going to get a load of pine straw and mulch everything well.

I have a lot of hydrangeas with flower heads developing, which I'm very excited about!

• mk87
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry all...I know I posted this thread, then abandoned you! :) It was my birthday this weekend, so hubby and I took some time off together. Just getting back to see all the gorgeous gardens!

sinai -- Your (backyard, right?) garden is beautiful and it's exactly how I want to do mine when I get started on it. Lots of different areas, connected by the grass as sort of the "pathway." And, off the subject, I love your pix. Do you have special software for the "reflection" at the bottom of each?

• mk87
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lzygrdner -- I'm jealous...both of your garden AND your photography skills! LOL

yomamanem -- Love the parterre...it is absolutely beautiful.

jennifratrix -- I enjoyed your captions as much as the photos!

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

wow - you all have beautiful gardens with many of my southern favorites - nothing beats rhodis and roses in my book! I have a few of my own to share. Just took them this morning. Some are some updates of ones I posted in early April. Enjoy! Nikki

Here is a link that might be useful: May progress

• mk87
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally got around to taking some more pix of the rock garden (well, the part by the mailbox anyway). I am really having fun with it (and I think our mail carrier has enjoyed watching it come together too)!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock Garden in Progress

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

Ok my turn--

My daughter (who is 7 1/2) actually took most of the close-ups. I always seem to miss the great shots. Like I didn't get a picture of my peonies fully in bloom before they got rained on etc, but trust me they were gorgeous. As I look at my yard it is amazing how much of the stuff in it came from you guys.

Garden 5/08

Here is a link that might be useful: Work in Progress

• mk87
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kathy -- Wow. Y'know, what I like a lot? I like the way you've sort of made your border area really large in that one place, so that you could put up the archway and make a whole 'nother garden inside your border plantings. That is what my husband wants to do with a sort of Japanese garden / Zen garden at one "corner" of our backyard. And, now I sort of see, with your pictures, how I want to do ours.

• lzygrdner
    15 years ago

mk87, your rock garden has really come along. it looks wonderful! Harriet

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

thanks mk87, My border size was sort of determined by the tree line. But I knew I wanted a path right away. right now it stops at the bench but I think I am going to make it come out the other end of the yard. The kids love playing on the path.

• georgia_rose
    15 years ago

I've enjoyed the pictures of your gardens. The link below has pictures some from this spring. Mostly pictures of part of the backyard and an area I call the courtyard. That area was leveled during construction of an addition 3 years ago and is going into its second full growing season, slow progress with 3 large dogs and drought.

Pictures from previous years are at:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v227/2manyroses/

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring garden

• mk87
    Original Author
    15 years ago

georgia_rose -- Beautiful! You must win awards with those roses!

• nuttshell
    15 years ago

mk87, I really like the rock garden too. It's a great way to do a tough area like around a mail box. But as a matter of fact I like all the pictures I have looked at here. I am a new poster but have been reading the forum for a couple of years when I am not outside. Can I share some photos too?

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

nuttshell, we would love to see your pictures too!

• nuttshell
    15 years ago

Okay, here goes:

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden in a nuttshell

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

Here's a link to the landscape album I'm working on currently: My Landscape Album

• vroomp
    15 years ago

I have let a few plants get a bit out of control this year as I have been so busy with work. It was quite a chore just to get everything cleaned up without doing all that pruning and moving I usally do.
    These guys are getting a bit large:
    {{gwi:810389}}

I have yet to remove these clumps of grass from my moss yard I am trying to get going.
    {{gwi:810392}}

These Pavonias seem to be doing ok.
    {{gwi:810401}}

Kroger had some great looking pots for sale this spring for $10 and less so Naturally I had to get a few and that meant I needed more plants to fill them. One of the combinations I am trying is this Aeonium with some nice sedum for contrast.
    {{gwi:810403}}

Lemon Cypress and Fiber Optic Grass go well together also.
    {{gwi:810406}}

A cactus received from GGG finally got a home with these sedums and succulents.
    {{gwi:810409}}

A pineapple I started last year has set fruit this spring. It makes for an interesting plant for a freebie from Harry's Market.
    {{gwi:810416}}

And last but, not least, is this interesting little plant called Huernia Zebrina or Lifesaver Plant.

Definately, one of the strangest flowers I have ever seen.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Sally loves tomatoes. She eats them right off the vine in Grammy's garden. YUUUMMM
    {{gwi:70045}}

• vroomp
    15 years ago

Thought I would slip one more pic in of my backyard if noone minds. I still have about 30% of the yard left to landscape but, it's coming along well.

{{gwi:810427}}
    Gee, I guess I could have removed that piece of rebar I use for a hose barrier before taking a picture though.

• mayland
    15 years ago

Vroomp, you have some fantastic combinations. All my pics are close-ups because any long-shots reveal the ivy-chaos that still exists behind every flower bed. But, we're making progress on it. Trying to pull 2 bags of ivy every night before the kids bedtime. We get a quick workout when its cooler, and they get to run around before bed.

This is what's flowering now for me:

Asclepias (milkweed, i think?):

Together with Coreopsis and gerbera daisy (random broken stones and ivy roots behind!):

"Lady-in-Lilac" hydrangea. I'm waiting for red!

Gardenia (it was unlabelled but I think its "August")

And the variegated hydrangea that I had almost given up on

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

I nearly gave up on my variegated hydrangeas as well. Mine looked absolutely awful until I pulled them out of the ground and put them in pots in a fully shaded area. Apparently they absolutely do not like any sun at all.

• vroomp
    15 years ago

Asclepias curassavica or Bloodflower

is a favorite for Monarch Butterfly larvae. They seem to prefer this one over the Asclepias tuberosa or Butterfly Weed

so I provide about fifty plants for them each year and they will consume every portion of the plant including seedpods and stems when there are enough of them munching away.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?