Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toile_gw

Anyone growing Peonies? Hydrangea too?

toile
16 years ago

Can anyone help me please :)

Apparently I am a peony murderer :(

I have planted several in the last 15 years and they never show up.

Others know how badly I want one and give me theirs.

Those don't show up either?

Is there a peony secret I need to know for North Georgia?

I also have bad luck with Hydrangeas?

These are my 2 favorites too.

Thanks if you can help :D

Comments (13)

• killerv
    15 years ago

I don't know much about peonies but what kind of bad luck are you having with your hydrangeas? Not flowering?

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I'm trying them both for the first time this year, so we'll see how it goes! I hope you can get yours going!

Diana

• jmzms
    15 years ago

I have both - with what seems to be a fair amount of success considering droughts, etc.

The peony was planted last spring. It leafed out and survived well, but did not bloom. Figured that was a first year thing. It has started to leaf out beautifully this year and is about a foot or so tall already. The soil was amended in the bed its planted in. It receives full sun until about 12-1:00, and then is shaded by the house after that. The link below suggest north side of house plantings or containers for our warmer locale. I have seen others in my neighborhood with success as well. So, for me, time will tell this year. Even without the blooms, the plant is beautiful. Can you describe the symptoms of death? Are you planting upside down (not being funny - eyes must face up)? Are you planting too deeply? I bought mine already leafed out and planted above ground and mounded the dirt up to it to ensure good drainage around the base.

I have a couple of Endless Summer hydrangeas. Both are in a raised bed that was amended well before planting. And they are in filtered shade. The heat of the summer makes them droop, but generally perk back up at night (except when the highs are over 100, and the lows are in the 90s...then they're just sad to look at - and I watered a lot). They haven't grown drastically in size over the past two years, but I'm hoping that's the "first year sleeps, second year creeps, third year leaps" thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: GBTY - Peony

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

with regard to hydrangeas, i have had zero luck with the variegated hydrangeas and i'm not sure why. my plantings from last year, all of the wood died but they are slowly sprouting back up from the base of the ground this year, sooooo slow, though. my other repeat-bloom hydrangeas are fine.

i don't think there's a secret for hydrangeas except to keep them out of afternoon sun. mine rec'v morning sun till around noon as well, and they are all fine.

never tried peonies

• Wren14
    15 years ago

I've had great success with Peonies. There are pretty tough, so I'm not sure why your plants are not coming up. I started each of mine in pots and planted them in the ground the following season after they had time to emerge and leaf out. You might want to try that. Once they get going, they are hard to stop! Good luck!

• lucyatlanta
    15 years ago

I planted a small Peony from a plant trade 2 years ago. The first year it had one bloom but this year it looks like it will total about 6. I've seen a lot of growth. Mine gets morning sun. I encourage you to keep at it as they are beautiful plants in my book.

• buford
    15 years ago

Give the hydrangeas time. I planted two in a spot that I thought was shady, but it does get afternoon sun in the middle of summer. They would get very wilted, but bounce back during the night. I did plant a crabapple tree between them that provides some shade.

But last year, even with the drought, they were fine. The just needed to get established and get enough roots down so they can replenish themselves when it gets hot.

• sarah27
    15 years ago

I'm just gonna throw this out there...did you plant the peonies correctly? Peonies don't like to be in deep soil. Very shallow planting is a key in their happiness.

• toile
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies! :)
    I have tried so many things I have lost count, but I think I will stick to it and try again. These 2 plants really make you work for their beauty dont they?

With the peonies they literally never showed up out of the ground at all.
    It was as if nothing was ever planted.
    With hydrangea , I have had several different forms of death LOL.
    Currently the drought I assume got all my different varieties.

Maybe I'm just used to easy plants and I need to learn some need extra work.

:)

• Tricia
    15 years ago

I've had 3 peony for the last 5 years, one of them came from growers outlet. Never a problem. They are planted in a bed that was originally prepared for roses, heavily amended with manure and course sand. They get sun in the summer from about eleven to 2:00pm. One of the 3 gets a little crispy around the edges of the leaves during the summer but they all bloom profusely in the spring. They look like they will be blooming soon.

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

Maybe you should tell us more about your planting experiences. I have planted peonies that my Mother in law brought form Illinois. Both were brought to me in different springs around Easter. They were brought from Illinois and by the following year they were doing pretty well, but nothing spectacular. I added Epsom salts to both the following springs and each year there after and they are doing much better. Hydrangeas like a good amount of water.

• april105
    15 years ago

Planting too deep is most likely the cause. The eyes should be planted no deeper than 1 inch. I have lots of beautiful peonies in my yard and have had wonderful luck with them. They need lots of sun at least 5-6 hours a day but blooms last longer with some shade but will have a few less blooms. Do you water them well after planing? Peonies don't usually bloom for 2-3 years after planting or dividing.

• luvpickles
    15 years ago

This is my first year planting Hydrangeas. So far they are doing really good. Plant them on the east side of your home, that way they will get the morning sun, and the evening shade - which they love.

Peonies are really hardy, so when they do take hold you should have good sucess with them. My peonies, for the most part are in full sun.

Sending you some good luck with them.

(I'm in north Georgia also) :)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm