Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Southern Indica Azaleas won't bloom - others are fine

Posted by bumblebeez z7b Seneca SC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 8:35

I have a lot of azaleas and am always adding more.
Nothing unusual, however, but still attractive.

The kurumes, girards, glenn dales, robin hills and belguims all bloom beautifully provided we don't have a late freeze.
I have about an acre of yard landscaped with plenty of azaleas.

This is one gorgeous year too.

The Southern Indicas, zip. Maybe one of two flowers each year, if any, in 8 years. Most have no flowers.
Primarily I have G.G. Gerbing, Formosa, and George l. Taber.

They are intermingled with the others to give a long bloom time. Mostly they get bright shade.

All I can think of is to move them to full sun. None of them get full sun now.

This year I added 5 new formosas to full sun- so I'll see next year.
This is concerning me somewhat and I think I should move all the Indicas this fall.
Any thoughts?

I am posting this on the azalea forum also.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Southern Indica Azaleas won't bloom - others are fine

Ours get full sun at church, and they are currently blooming like the dickens!!

o

Thanks ggg! My gut has been saying to move them to full sun and I will- not a small task, which is why I asked.

o

They need some sun. Full shade or sun may be too much.

Also, do not prune them after August of the previous year or fertilize until after they bloom. They bloom on old wood and fertilizing too early can push the blooms right off. Late freezes can also zap the buds. Mine are just blooming now.

o

I don't fertilize them and I have never pruned them either. The other azaleas a feet away in the same amount of sun, water, soil...etc. bloom fine. The areas are bright shade though. I think it may be a sun issue becuase I can't figure out what else it is!

o

I have GG Gerbing, George Tabor, Pride of Mobile, and Formosa southern indicas. They are just 2 - 3 years old and planted in partial shade. Last year I was greatly disappointed in the lack of blooms. This year, all varieties put on a beautiful blooming show. I wonder if the amount of water they get makes a huge difference. We watered throughout the drought last summer and into the fall. Not sure why they decided bloom so heavily this year.

--Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here