Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayland_gw

Native plant sale this Sat - Fernbank science center

mayland
15 years ago

Fernbank Science Center is holding its native plant sale this Saturday (18th) from 8-4.

The link is below, although they have yet to add a plant list. Last year their selection was great.

They do sell things quite quickly, so best to go early if you want something in particular.

This is at the smaller Science Center, not the big Natural History Museum.

Here is a link that might be useful: fernbank sale

Comments (10)

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

It is just killing me that my back yard isn't ready for planting this stuff yet. Every year their list of natives gets more and more diverse!!!

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Yes, the list is there now. I wish they would put the scientific names, not just the common names!

mayland, looks like you can get Magnolia tripetala there (Umbrella magnolia if that is what they meant).

It's a big selection - not everything is native, but most of it is.

• mayland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh, what a big list! Yes, I hope to get an M. tripetala, and maybe a Magnolia Ashei as well, which Jeff_Al recommended. And a Fringetree, and my husband wants another japanese maple...

Some things on that list i have never heard of -- need to sit down with Google and go through it. Yes, its a shame they don't put both latin and common names.

Last time there must have been a big line, i got there about 2 mins after it opened and all of the Fringetrees had already gone. I might have to get up early on Saturday!

GGG, there is a fall sale too...maybe you can buy then?

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Thanks to mayland

I will go and see what they have. Sounds interesting.

Of course, it remains to be seen what kind of prices they will be asking.

Cyrus

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

meh, no mountain laurels :D

• mayland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cyrus, I recall the prices on shrubs being in the $12-18 range, mostly for 2-3 gal sizes. I thought they were very reasonable, and nice condition. I haven't bought trees or perennials there before so I'm not sure on the prices for those.

SH, I bought Mtn Laurels there in the fall sale, so maybe in fall they'll have them again. They were just the species though, not any cultivars.

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

The biggest problem is that the Fernbank sales always fall on Holy Comforter day sales. So I'll be busy shuckin' our wares over here in Ormewood on Saturday, and in the fall too!

• mayland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, the sale was great! It was busy, we arrived about 7.55 and there were about 20 people in line ahead of us.

I got a Magnolia Tripetala (the only one!), a Magnolia Ashei, a Redbud, a Halesia diptera (silverbell), and a Sweetbay Magnolia.

Will the Sweetbay be evergreen here? We want it as a screening plant, and from what i read, it sounded like it should be.

We also got a Rhododendron (Nova Zembla), a Hydrangea arborescens "Bounty", a Banana Shrub (Michelia figo), a lantana and some dwarf crested iris.

All the trees were in 3-gal pots and are 5-8' tall. The rhodie is big and covered in buds. I paid $145 -- felt like a bargain!

Cyrus, did you make it there? Satellitehead, they listed Kalmia on the sale list they handed out, but I did not see any there.
    The next sale is Sept 19.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Yes, sweetbay magnolia is evergreen here.

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Yes Maylan.
    I did make it around 9 AM. Probably most good stuff were sold by then. But I managed to pick a few perenials and annuals.

I would say that it was worth the trip.

Thank you all for bringing it up.

Cyrus

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor