Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub id please

Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 9:23

I'm visiting my beau in Atlanta and I wondered if anyone knows the name of this common shrub

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub id please

Nandina domestica, pretty sure.

o

Yep, not native to the US and pretty commonly used.

o

Nandina, as mentioned. It's very lovely, especially right around Christmas when the berries ripen and turn red. Be warned though that it can be invasive! Birds love the berries and they can spring up where you don't want them. I have bunches of seedlings I need to pull up in the woods that are not wanted ruining my native areas.

o

There was a story in the news down in south Georgia (where it is even more invasive along with Florida) where they found some dead cedar waxwings; they checked the contents of their stomachs and found that they had eaten a lot of nandina berries which each contain a small amount of cyanide.

I suppose one would say it is the birds' fault, but cedar waxwings in nature would not live where these berries naturally grow (Asia).

Certainly if you grow it, remove all the berries by January before the cedar waxwings return to the area.

Here is a link that might be useful: report on incident

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here