Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall collards

Posted by gardengolfer GA 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 9:36

How well does direct seeding work for collards in NE GA? This will be my first time for growing collards.

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall collards

Hi Larry,

I know my mother direct seeded some collard seeds into her backyard fall garden in late summer (2011) here in Decatur/Atlanta. She got a lot of collards. I direct seeded this last Spring in Florida and got the same result.

One thing to know about collards is that they will sprout and then just grow very slowly for the first 6 weeks to two months. Then, they all of sudden just take off and get real big and healthy. Hence, patience is key.

Some extra info is that Neem oil worked well for us in preventing a good amount of bug damage. Also, collards are 'cut and come again', which means pulling the plant out of the ground like it's a radish is unnecessary. You'll continue to get growth if you just cut the spine near the base of each collard leaf.

Hope this helps.

o
RE: Fall collards

I'm in North/East Cobb and they do very well for me. They always come up within a few days and as Stella mentioned, they grow slowly the first 6 weeks or so and then really take off. I start harvesting the leaves while they're still small and it doesn't bother them a bit. They grow and grow. My favorite is "Georgia Collard" seed that I pick up at Home Depot or Lowes.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here