Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vnginger

Looking for Abutilon/Flowering Maple/Chinese Lantern

vnginger
18 years ago

My abutilon (hat was sent to me from a GW member last year) croaked. I would really love to find more.... Please let me know if you see anyone selling them in the Atlanta area. I've only seen it once sold at HD quite a few years back. Thanks for your help.

Comments (14)

• bobbygil
    18 years ago

Mine also died this winter. Ive seen them at Perennial Grace before. I think they have 2 types but not sure which ones.

• debicga
    18 years ago

Not sure about abutilon but I hope you really aren't looking for Chinses lantern. I planted it several years ago and it is very invasive. Not only that it took 2 years to put out any blooms.

• vnginger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

THanks, debicga for letting me know. I think the abutilon & Chinese Lanterns are different than. I looked on Dave's GArden's dbase & it listed Chinese Lanterns... That is good to know. The abutilon do not make it here thru the winters.

I started some Chinese Lantern seeds today. So I will definately put them in a pot if they germintate.

Thanks.

• dparkman Parkman
    18 years ago

My flowing maple is alive too...SHOCK SHOCK. I bought mine at the UGA plant sale last year....have to say, the kids had no idea what they were selling, the names of the plants, hardiness or growth habits and prices were no saving. I was quite surprised.

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

I saw it at Mann's Greenhouse in Hickory Flat/Canton this past Saturday. Theirs has variegated foliage too. Very nice.

Mann's had quite a few unusual perennials, including some darling miniature fushias.

• vnginger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Darn... that Canton is so far away. Thanks for the scoop esh_ga.

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

vnginger -- I don't know about this year but there's a place in Sharpsburg (not far from Newnan/Peachtree City) that I bought a pink Abutilon from before called Country Garden's. They're right off Lower Fayetteville Road. Not sure if this is your neck of the woods but if so you might give em' a call.

• vroomp
    18 years ago

Chinese Lanterns planted in part shade are quite well behaved. Mine have stayed put for four years now and never spread beyond the original bed they were put into.

• herbaceous1
    18 years ago

Hey VNGinger, I saw some amazing red abutilon standards at Pikes at Toco Hills. There were very stricking, about 4-5 feet tall for $69.

• vnginger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was at Pikes today. I saw the Abutilon topiary herbaceous1 mentioned. Love to have it.... but it's so pricy and they are not doing well. The ones I bought at HD a few years ago were only about $4ish. I called Perennial Grace today but they didn't answer. So they must close on Mons. I will have to try the other stores you all mentioned. The others are far from me. I am in the Norcross area.
    Thanks for all of your help.

Oh... anyone knows when will the UGA sale be???
    tc

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

If Perennial Grace is close enough for you, then you should easily be able to go a few more miles and go to Autumn Hill Nursery on Earney Rd; they had an awesome selection the other day. They had one gallon sizes and also they had the same variegated one that Mann's had in a 3/4 inch pot for $2.90, I think. Didn't notice the one gallon price, but they had several colors.

Perennial Grace is closed on Mondays. Perennial Grace is on Birmingham Hwy which intersects with Batesville Rd; Autumn Hill is on Earney, which intersects with Batesville.

• velinda
    17 years ago

Anyone have luck with cuttings and if so what is the best way...water or rooting hormone?

• mrsboomernc
    17 years ago

my abutilon "marion stewart" rooted easily in water over the winter.

• vnginger
    Original Author
    17 years ago

chapelhillgardener,
    Wish I would of known before mine croaked... Good to know. I still haven't had a chance to visit those nurseries to get some... Probably in June is when I get time... by then they will be all out.

Sponsored