Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sneakyp_gw

My Garden

SneakyP
11 years ago

Well being a new gardener (this is my second year). I thought I would post a link to photobucket so y'all could take a look at some of it and let me know what you think. If you need any pictures to give a better opinion let me know as I would be happy to take them. As I am new I REALLY am looking for honest opinions of what you think I am doing right and also what you think I am doing wrong.....thanx Pete

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden

Comments (13)

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Pete - WOW!! Don't have the time right now to analyze but think you've already got it nailed. Wish you were my neighbor - it would be inspirational.

Rosie, in Sugar Hill

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

You sure seem to have been born with a green thumb! Congrats!

• eggplant30038
    11 years ago

Your garden looks great!! I wish mine looked as good!!!

• SneakyP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanx for the compliments, don't know about a green thumb I'd say it was more dumb luck.

I did pick my first green beans this morning, I can't wait to see how it ramps up. Also saw some baby zucchini's starting,and some itty bitty cucumber's. Its starting to feel like summer with the smell of tomato plants in the air.

• jay_7bsc
    11 years ago

Dear SneakyP 7B,
    I can't think of anything finer than the smell of a tomato plant.

• Stellabee
    11 years ago

Hey Sneaky P,

I actually have a question for you. I've tried growing chard here in Georgia many times but to no avail. I was wondering if you started yours in pots inside or in the ground outside? Also, do you have a pesticide preference for leafy things like that?

By the way, your garden looks really good!

• SneakyP86
    11 years ago

Stella, I never even tried to grow it before. I just saw a 9 pack of chard at the store when I bought my lettuce plants and said what the heck I'll give it a try. The only thing I did was to dig a nice sized hole for it and filled in around the plant with some Miracle-gro garden soil. I didn't use any pesticide at all. The soil prep I did from the soil test I had done I'm sure had a lot to do with the success.

• Stellabee
    11 years ago

Okay, so they were started indoors at the store and then transplanted. Interesting:-) I guess it really makes sense, as it gives the greens a chance to grow and get firmly started without the bugs getting to them. We are able to direct seed collards, arugula, etc. outdoors, but it seems chard must need to be started indoors since it's so tender and delectable. Hmm...
    Now I know for next year. Thanks, SneakyP!

• SneakyP86
    11 years ago

My beans have started kicking in and I have picked 4 containers full so far. I picked One Sweet Slice cucumber,a small zucchini and a couple of small onions. Had to pull my Buttercrucnh lettuce as it was bolting and some of the red sails also. The rest of the is starting to bolt so that will pulled up soon. Pulled up my spinach as it was starting to look funny (guess from the heat). Pulled up the Broccoli as the heat seemed to be getting to it and I think I got most of the heads and Florettes. Put most of my baby pepper plants in only have some sweet banana peppers left to go.

{{gwi:38768}}

some updated pictures of the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden 5/12

• eggplant30038
    11 years ago

You have a really nice garden!!!

• SneakyP86
    11 years ago

somehow the links to my garden pics have screwed up or I did but here is the link again.If you scroll down you'll see links to pics from different days.

{{gwi:38770}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

• Markshep
    11 years ago

What did you amend your soil with? Looks way better than my clay.

• SneakyP86
    11 years ago

Well I used wood chips in the garden last year and tilled that in the fall. I than planted a cover crop of clover and than as early I could cut that down and added my leaves and grass clippings and tilled that in around February I think it was. Took some soil samples and got them tested through the county extension agent told them it was for veggies and added the nutrients and fertilized as they recommended.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County