Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexiebmax05

Need help Identifying spider!!

lexiebmax05
13 years ago

I don't have a picture unfortunately..but I'm working on that. The next time I see one of these, I will get a picture. I live in NW Georgia near Carrollton. I was working in one of my raised beds last weekend and noticed there was a few holes in the soil that were about an inch and a half to two inches in diameter. I orginially thought it was because of our mole problem but when I was digging around I dug one up and this creepy spider came out. I've never seen one of these before, but it seems they are burrowing spiders not web spiders and since seeing this one, I saw a few more around dusk one day in this bed. (It seems they like this particular raised bed). They are fat, black, hairy spiders that range from about a quarter of the size of your palm to 3 quarters of your palm. The only way I can describe them is they remind me of a tarantula with thick hairy legs but the only thing is they all have a lighter bluish grey back abdomen. I've tried to find them on the internet and the closest thing I found was a "mouse spider" but they are all black and I think they get pretty big. But if you look the mouse spider up, they look very similar, these just have a lighter abdomen. Maybe, if I can see another one, get a pic and post it, someone could better identify it.

I love gardening but hate spiders. I usually just leave them alone b/c I know they are beneficial but these I just cannot take. They are all in this bed, get pretty big, and don't seem too scared of you.

Thanks guys.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro