Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjani

How to grow giant veggies: Compost Tea

tjani
13 years ago

Not sure if this is a right forum for this but I came across this article. Has anyone been using compost tea successfully?

http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/super-sized-veggies/index.html

"The secret to my success," he says, "is compost tea. The reason it's called tea is because it looks like tea, but it doesn't act like tea." Most gardeners know compost is good for the garden, but Evans says compost tea is even better if you want to grow bigger.

To make compost tea, gather a diffuser, some air hoses and an air pump, put them in a five-gallon bucket filled with water, and turn it on. The air jets pump air into the water and encourage the growth of millions of good, aerobic bacteria. Next, add about eight cups of compost to the bubbling bucket. Evans adds a special blend of ingredients that contains, among other things, simple sugars. Allow the tea to brew for 24 hours. Evans then mixes five parts water to one part tea. He applies the tea two different ways by saturating the ground and directly watering the plants' foliage. This creates a bio-film, which protects the plant from diseases and pests.

Comments (10)

• rosiew
    13 years ago

tjani, so glad you posted this. I am going to buy the right little pump and do this for sure this year.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting! I would love to create a tea-production like that. Anyone knows the best place to purchase the equipment? He talks about diffuser, air hoses and air pump. Would the place like HD or Lowes have it?
    Thanks!

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Natalie, glad you asked about all the equipment. I want the answer too. Speak up, some knowledgable GA Gardener.

Rosie

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Using a pump gives you aerated compost tea. You can still make compost tea without the pump (but there is some discussion on levels of effectiveness). And adding just plain compost around the plant as a slow release fertilizer is effective as well.

I will say that I have bought one of the devices but I never get around to using it lately (and I don't grow veggies).

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I make the tea without the pump, and I also add alfalfa to it (which makes it smell like the most disgusting, horrible vomit). I also make "weed tea" by allowing weeds to sit for about 2 weeks in warm water and "spoil" releasing their goodness. I use these as soil drenches, I've not tried spraying it (afraid I'd do it too late in the day and burn them up, I'm not the earliest of AM gardeners)....I'd like to try ariating one day, but I've not figured out the set up to buy yet (that is very cheap). I priced it out a few years ago and decided I'd buy the ariator if I could find one at a yard sale...not yet.

• tjani
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Would air just escape from top? I am not sure....I was curious about aerator too...Thanks for throwing light on it.
    I know my dad swore by it as well...so must be good (the compost tea).

Esh_ga: where do you get your compost (lowes or HD or someother place?)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I buy mushroom compost at either HD or Lowes - products are about the same. You can also get composted cow manure (it is cheaper).

The aeration supposedly increases by a significant level the amount of live organisms in tea. There are instructions on the internet for making one yourself using the kind of pump you get for aquariums.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a good one

• tjani
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you esh_ga. I checked out the link...really good.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

A friend of mine brought me some buckets, so I am looking forward to recreate the system and see what happens. Extra bucket, anyone? I have 4, and will probably use just 2.

• tjani
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How did it go Natalie...any pictures to inspire us?
    :-)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!