Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stellabee_gw

Japanese Soyu Cucumer/Tatuma Squash

Stellabee
12 years ago

Good Morning Everybody!

I was wondering if anyone in the Atlanta area has any experience with the Japanese Soyu Cucumber or the Tatuma (Calabacita) Squash? I bought seeds at the store b/c they were there and looked very interesting. I went on ahead and planted but don't know how well these varieties (both seem to be organic) will do here. It would be nice to know what to expect in reference to yield, pests, disease, nutrition, etc...?!

Thanks & Please Do Advise if you know anything,

Stellabee

Comments (5)

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

The Soryu grows like any other long type cucumber. Best grown on a trellis if you want straight cucumbers. I have not grown Tatuma but it is a winter squash that can be used as a summer squash. For summer squash use at about baseball size. It is a vigorous vine, so trellis or provide lots of space. If you leave them to mature, you get yellow cantaloupe size winter squash which can be used like acorn squash.

• Stellabee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Farmerdill, okay, I will definitely be getting some type of trellis for them then. The trellised cucumbers and such always look so pretty anyway-me thinks at least.

Oh, and when you say 'grows like any other long type cucumber', does that mean the soyu grows well here? I've had pretty good luck with cucumbers in Decatur/Atlanta, so I'm assuming that's what you mean. If not, please feel free to correct me and expand...

Thank you much for the response on these more rare varieties!

p.s. very interesting that tatuma can be grown in both summer and fall. I'll remember that.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

I meant that Tatuma grows much like an acorn type. Use when small as a summer squash. Leave it to maturity and its a winter squash.
    Suhyo/Soyu is an Oriental cucumber open pollinated, long and skinny (1.25 x 18 inches). Most of this type available today are hybrids like Tasty Jade. It will not have the disease resistance or vigor of the hybrids but does as well as most other OP varieties.

• Stellabee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, okay, so tatuma can be very summer or winter like in the culinary sense. If I get any, I'll keep that in mind for harvest time. Thanks!

I hope they both do well. I will try to remember to follow up here and let people know how these two varieties did in my area.

Thanks Farmerdill,

Stellabee

• wbbuckner
    10 years ago

Stellabee, I did not grow any Soyus last summer. However, I did grow them in 2012 ans they were amazing. They were so prolific, I had trouble keeping up with the. They are also very tasty and pickle well, too. I do hope to find some for this summer!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022