Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbrickm

Oakhurst plant sale - Decatur

jbrickm
13 years ago

I was at the Oakhurst community garden plant sale in Decatur, GA today. They had a lot of interesting veggies, heirloom and non-heirloom. The veggies in 2" pots were $2 and the herbs in larger pots were $4. They also had perennials and fruits e.g. blueberry bushes in larger pots.

In tomatoes they had the usual heirloom favorites like Brandywine, Cherokee purple etc. Lots of peppers and eggplant varieties as well as squash and cucumbers. I did not see more than a couple of okra types.

I picked up a couple of eggplants and tomatoes as well some mint varieties.

Comments (5)

• caeebe
    13 years ago

I was a disappointed in the size of the $2 veggies most were just barely beyond their baby leaves. The tomatoes looked bigger than the squashes, peppers and eggplants. The more expensive herbs looked great though. I also enjoyed the free garden talk I attended and I'll be back tomorrow for another talk. I'll probably buy a few herbs that I can't get at the big box store and are too much of a pain to grow from seed.

• jbrickm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yup, most of the veggies were just cotyledons but some tomato pots had vigorous starter plants.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I'm speaking tomorrow at 10am (veggie gardening for beginners) and again at 11pm (herbs in Georgia). Come and buy some beautiful plants. All plants are starts, and are well on their way to maturing and are ready to plant NOW. All funds go to the wonderful programs provided by the garden.
    The plants they have now may be small, I purchased plants a few weeks ago and they were good sizes however, their sales have been vigerous and the plants are mostly grown by volunteers. There are fruit trees and plants for those who are looking for them, too

• jbrickm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dang! I did see a group of people sitting around a lecture this morning but did not stop to listen :(

I did buy a trayful of veggies and herbs.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Some of the plants were very small...that's because they had already sold out of the larger plants yesterday! The sales have been INCREDIBLE! There is such a wide selection of tomatoes (some I've not heard of nor tried myself), great selection of herbs (which is dwindling....), fruit trees and some fruiting shrubs, muscadines, gorgeous succulents, some folks who are whipping up what looked like some good old fashioned home cooking, lemonade & pom juice, loads of free classes, a few great native perennials (most which make excellent pollinator and good bug attractors!!). Bring the kids to play in Ox, the mud house, to visit the chickens, romp around the wild creek areas and generally have a good ol' time. It's a beautiful day!
    When you are done your day take a short spring in and around the Oakhurst neighborhood. The community garden is attracting and influencing local folks to plant some of the most beautiful and most creative gardens in Atlanta.