Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting completely rid of invasive vines

Posted by suwannee75 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 11:48

Is this possible? We moved in to an extremely neglected home and yard in December. We hacked everything back as best we could, but now the honeysuckle, poison ivy, english ivy, virginia creeper and some other vine I dont know the name of are coming back with a vengance. I dont know what to do to get rid of them completely besides pulling and pulling and pulling. I cant really round up that much bc they are in the middle of beds with shrubs that I am trying to resurrect.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting completely rid of invasive vines

I faced this problem about 8 years ago. Huge areas covered with honeysuckle and poison ivy. It took two years of Round Up to get rid of it. Round Up got rid of most of it the first year. I had to use Round Up again for the vines that came back the next spring. That got rid of everything except a honeysuckle vine growing through a beautiful Indica azalea. Obviously, I couln't use Round Up on it without killing the azalea. So one of my jobs every spring is to pull and hack at the honeysuckle growing through the azalea. Pulling it up is no solution, just a defensive action.
I have neighbors who won't do anything about the honeysuckle and poison ivy along their property line (the same neighbors who when the trim their #%&&(#@ red tips throw the branches in my yard for me to clean up and then complain people in this neighborhood aren't friendly), so every year I get more honeysuckle and poison ivy along the edge of my property. Round Up in the spring kills it until more grows into my yard the next year. I don't like using chemicals, but it's what I found that works.

o

• Posted by vsjo z7GA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 12:31

Here is what I have done. After the Roundup has done its job, use brush-b-gone. When the vines begin coming back, find the stem near the ground, cut it, then paint the stem with the brush-b-gone. This is about the only way to rid a vine that is growing through a desirable bush. You can use a spray bottle if the stem or trunk is large enough or not too close to plants that would be harmed. A sponge paint brush works well. I will soon be ridding my azaleas of honeysuckle; I am just waiting for them to finish blooming. I also moved into a very neglected garden. At least it is a garden with many, many plants. I am spending this spring just watching and waiting to see what all I have.

o

I agree that Brush-b-Gone is the better product for woody vines (but many people refer to "round up" generically as any herbicide). I think the brand Round up also introduced a "woody vine" herbicide this year.

vsjo's suggestion of cutting and then painting the stump is a good one when pulling is not an option. Annual control for 2-3 years (either pulling or spraying) will allow you to gain the upper hand; it is just not really possible to get it all in one year when existing plants must be considered. As long as you accept that it will take several years, you can tackle it with gusto.

And obviously you are not alone! We have tons of honeysuckle too; one neighbor walked by as I was tackling the huge mound over the utility box and commented that it would "just come right back". Today that spot is beautiful shrub bed and I just hand pull the one or two sprouts that try to come back. The roots should run out of energy eventually!

Different vines may need different approaches - search the web about the best ways to deal with english ivy as it has a waxy leaf that is very resistant to sprays.

o

For a large vine you can cut it but leave a long piece to bend down and pin to the ground with the cut end immersed in a plastic cup with Roundup that has been buried level with the ground. This works for bigger stubborn vines like kudzu.

o

Eddie, I haven't thought to do that. How long do you leave the herbicide in the cup for?

o

i saw someplace that for a great big poison ivy vine you can duct tape a milk jug full of weedkiller on to it. i am planning to try it - vine up a dead tree, the vine's about one of my fists thick, so i'm going to duct tape the jug to the tree. even if the tree were still alive, i think the duct tape would hurt it less than the poison ivy vine. the trick with a live tree would be making sure only the vine went into the milk jug, so you didn't get herbicide into the tree. I'll let you know how it comes out!

o

I would leave the herbicide for as long as it takes, maybe a week or two.
Another trick is to put on a pair of rubber gloves then put cotton gloves over that, dip your fingertips in Roundup and go out and gently touch the vines you want to get rid of that are entertwined with the plants you want to keep. It doesn't take much Roundup to do the job but you may want to add a bit of liquid detergent as a sticking agent. This may not be practical for you but I had a large bed of English ivy and the way I got rid of it was to scorch it with a flamethrower. There may be an article about this on my website.

o
Getting rid of invasive vines

I can't believe I didn't think of this till now - There is a product that comes in a bottle like a ketchup dispenser and you simply squirt a little of the goo on the vine and it kills it. This product is called vine-x. You can google it and don't forget the dash.
(I had to slightly change the Subject line above so the system would allow me to make two posts in a row)

o

Eddie is right about the round up in a cup. I did this over a year ago and that clump of kudzu neer did come back. Sucks it up like a straw, especially when it gets dry.

I bought some weird "off brand" of killz all today from Rex nursery. The guy there said it is pretty potent.

I've also read that you can get rid of the big vines of poison ivy by using huge needles (I saw some at the feed store) and injecting the vines. My only fear would be juice squirting out of the vine as I'm shoving the needle into it. But I'd love to try it. I have two trees with very thick vines on them. I spray the foliage but it comes back the next year...

GGG

o

The problem with vines like honeysuckle is that the roots are EVERYWHERE! So until you get ALL of the root, it will keep coming back. Everytime you see a new sprout, spray or paint it with a brush killer. Eventually enough will go down to kill all of the root. Then birds will bring back new seeds and you can do it all over again.

o

I found this entire thread VERY helpful. It also gave me allot of hope.
We are going through a very similar situation. Kudzu and honeysuckle are our biggest foes,....and from what I've gathered,...combining the right methods and little stubborness can get you a long way. Good luck.

o

I remember reading on a thread here once that the little floral stem water things were great for this. Probably easier to use than a cup, plus no digging and pinning. Just get some from a florist, fill them up, cut a stem and pop it on. Best yet, no spills, no waste!

o

Can't identify this vine but you have to dig the bulb out and it may be attacted to many other bulbs. They look like yams and have a small amount of single roots coming out of the bulbs. The vine grows up to 20' in oak trees.
For the other vines, Virginia creeper, I simply cut the vine and paint with the vine killer. That method doesn't work for the"yam" vine.
Can anyone shed some light on this vine??

o

Your vine is smilax and it is native. Yes, it forms a bulb and you must get the bulb out completely to stop the vine. No "kill" will work on it. I find it very annoying but have dug them out and rid my yard of them.

GGG

o

There are some smilax that don't form tubers, they just end in a knot. One thing I've been able to figure out is that if they end in a tuber, the base of the vine has dozens of tiny thorns, going right down into the ground. Soak the area before digging and be prepared to follow the vine through a few twists and turns. I've dug up ones that looked like baking potatoes! Supposedly the Native Americans ate them (but don't try it on my say-so).

The one that ends in a knot is very bamboo looking (lustrous smooth green stems), with fewer (but bigger) thorns. The knot sends in shoots in several directions, so you may reach the knotty root from several vines. The underground roots have nodes, also very much similar to bamboo.

I am blessed to have both species in my yard! Plus there a third one with very large thorns and a mottled stem. Not sure about it's root system yet ....

o

good advice. I have invasive honeysuckle on my land. trying to keep at bay what is creeping into the yard and the edge yard beds, the back woods has a bad case. My son whacks away at them as he can to try and keep them from choking out trees, but what a job. Will try the round up though I am normally organic; but this just isn't getting it. I figure it is not so horrid as the stuff was never supposed to be here in the first place. Deer eat some poison ivy but not enough. I like the straw like idea, but instead of a cup a bottle. more enclosed and easier to keep in I think. Those small flower reservoirs might not be enough to kill them all. Still think pulling them out helps some.

o

Try the Brush B Gone or RoundUp poison ivy control both control triclophor(sp) and it kills kudzu.poison ivy etc.More effective than just round up alone. A mix ofboth chemicals.. the glyco.in roundupand the try. workswell.. Thats why the round up poison ivy control is more effective than justroundup on some things. Good luck. I have a battle with an 1100 ft fenceline with a neighbor who had poison ivy, kudzu,honeysuckle, vitgina creeper etc and NEVER does anything about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here