Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smokymist

Coming to Savannah !

SmokyMist
13 years ago

We ( my two older kids) and I are having a bit of a vacation this weekend. We are going Camping on the border of Georgia and SC with a large group of friends. Because I'm a single mom, my kids and I haven't been able to travel until two years ago, when business finally picked up ( after 13 years of being in business). My children are 19 and 23 now, and we love traveling together . We decided we'd love to see Savannah, so we'll have one night to stay somewhere ( cheap) so we can see the historic city. Could any of you suggest a place to stay, something to see during our one day there, etc ? Also, wouldn't mind setting up a trade or two in person lolol

Comments (4)

• opal52
    13 years ago

Well, I'm not from Savannah, but my husband and I have spent many weekends there over the years. There is information on walking tours at the visitor center which will take you through historic districts and parks. (The parks are very pretty.) The river front is the main place I think people who are there for the first time want to see. Lot's of restaurants and shops. It is the old cobblestone paving so be sure to wear sturdy shoes. There are some museums also. I believe they have guided tram tours, although we never took one of those. Tybee Island is a short drive from Savannah if you want to see the ocean. It's a public beach. I can't help with accommodations because we always stay at B&B's and they typically require advance reservations. I would likely try one of the chain hotels. There were several in downtown Savannah last time we were there.
    I hope you enjoy your visit. It's a very lovely old town.

• bagsmom
    13 years ago

smokymist --

Did you ever read the book "Midnight in the the Garden of Good and Evil?" If so, they have a fun tour based on the story!!!!!!! Also a fabulous ghost tour! The little trolley tours are the way to go if you don't have a really long time to explore on your own.

My husband proposed in front of the fountain in Forsyth Park! We stayed at Magnolia Place Inn -- if it is still there, wave at it for me! (It was expensive, but it was for a romantic, special weekend!)

As an aside -- judging from your name and your garden zone, you live in my idea of HEAVEN! I adore the Smokies! If I won the lottery, I would buy lots of land there and just protect it and love it! We are going to go relax in Wear Valley this summer!

Have fun in Savannah!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Smokeymist, Savannah is great. I love the downtown and surrounding area. Go downtown, there is fun shopping the girls will love (the cheapo jewelry store you guys will die over, and I like the Clothing Warehouse but please don't buy up all the good stuff ;)
    Just walking around where the historic homes are is heaven. MANY many gardens at the houses. I stop and talk to the residents (we go fairly frequently) and everyone I've met is so nice. In the middle of town is Forsyth park with cemetery and a beautiful garden that is being revived by the community. We stay a block from the water and I get up early and walk all over and then head to the end of the park for some coffee, hanging out and great food at the Sentient Bean.
    There are a few interesting gardens on Tybee Island (and the beach is perfect in the evenings when many people are leaving it for the day) but mostly we stay in the city because my DH goes for business.
    There are also a lot of festivals there in the summer on weekends, music and ethnic festivals which are fun. I have never been to a nursery or garden center there, as I'm mostly on foot and just walk around.
    We eat our dinner at Cha Bella, which is not super cheap but the food is almost all organic, all locally sourced and mostly grown on their own 7 acre farm. They will cater to dietary restrictions if given good notice (meal plans are often done early in the mornings when harvest comes in, so call early or the day before for special needs). The food is creative and exciting (and did I mention, we're lucky because DH is on business then :)

Have a great trip!

• IRuehl
    13 years ago

I just moved to Savannah, love it! When I have questions I always look on Savannah City Data. Lots of helpful info from locals

Sponsored