Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
logrock

Will a Bradford Pear pollinate a Fruiting Pear?

logrock
14 years ago

Does anyone have proof that a Bradford pear will pollinate a fruiting pear tree?

Why I ask is that one of my two pear trees died last year and I replaced it this winter so obviously will not have flowers this year (or next?). However, the older pear tree had one or two flowers last year (while the sick one had none), yet I got one super delicious fruit off the good tree. How did it get pollinated?

It is possible that one of my neighbors has a fruiting pear tree so that could be the pollen source, but I'm sure the breezes and bees in this neighborhood are loaded with pollen from the ubiquitous Bradford pear trees.

The older pear tree now has many blossoms which will probably open this weekend. So... you pear experts out there.... should I make an effort to obtain a few blossoms from another fruiting pear to improve my chances of getting any fruit or should I take my chances with the "wild" pollen?

Thanks,

Ron, (Dallas GA, Zone 7b)

ps: This may be a duplicate post. I replied to an older, similar thread under "Fruit and Orchards" but the whole thread doesn't show up anymore, even if I search for it. So I don't think anyone will see it. Is GardenWeb showing it's age? What is forums2?

Comments (9)

• strudeldog_gw
    14 years ago

I don't have proof as I don't care much for the Callery flowering pears, Braford is one Callery cultivar, but I have read repeatedly that they will pollinate your fruiting pears as long as their blooms overlap.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Supposedly, it did. It is not going to make any difference to you.
    Because cross pollination will only affect the seed in the fruit.
    And I don't think you are going to plant seeds from your pears.

Actually it will be a pluss and hep to get better pollination.

• logrock
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Right I don't care at all about if the seeds are viable. I just want fruit. I'll be watching the overlap, and I see some slower bradfords around, so I may just take a bunch of those flowers since I don't know where another fruiting pear tree is around Dallas (hint hint).

You have to admit though that the bradford pear trees are beautiful. With their natural full shape, their early and abundant white blossoms, their red foliage in the fall and their rapid, low maintenance growth. It is no wonder they are so popular.

• strudeldog_gw
    14 years ago

I think most likely the Braford's resulted in the fruit, but their are some pears considered partially self-fruitful If you know what cultivar you can check it. Just google "pear pollination chart" and you get a lot of info to review.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

You have to admit though that the bradford pear trees are beautiful. With their natural full shape, their early and abundant white blossoms, their red foliage in the fall and their rapid, low maintenance growth. It is no wonder they are so popular.

They look like lollipops to me - not my idea of a natural shape. And they are stinky (everyone's smell is different). And they are becoming a pest because they cross-pollinate now with some of the "other" sterile ornamental pears (like Cleveland Select). Look around, you can see flowering young trees in vacant lots and on the edges of natural areas now.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

ugh, the smell of them is atrocious. smells like semen. worst smell ever, i can't stand this time of year, they're planted all over around the Grant Park area, and the smell is unbearable some times of the late evening.

• logrock
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My fruiting pear is a Moonglow, and I think tomorrow it will be in full bloom so I will bring home a Bradford branch full of flowers.

Speaking of stinky.. I read that Pawpaw flowers smell like a rotting carcass. My two 5 ft Pawpaw trees are flowering profusely this year but the flowers don't smell at all to me. I'm planning on also cross pollinating them with a paint brush.

• jimbyfg
    10 years ago

I was told that the Callery pears were so-named because of their "pear" shape, not their blossoms or leaf-type.

I'll check into this deeper and see what I can find.

• Thomas Pickens
    4 years ago

Jus cut it down and get grafted self polinator. You can get a tree that produces quite a few varieties on the same plant.

Sponsored