Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my Rosemarys Come Back?

Posted by susaninnorthga (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 13:28

My Rosemary bushes had a hard time during the very cold winter we had, they looked dead so I pruned them back and am wondering if they will come back. I have never had any problems with them staying evergreen and making it through the winter here in Rome, Ga before. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Susan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my Rosemarys Come Back?

Susan -- mine aren't looking very good either. I'm in Marietta. I'm wondering if I'll have to get new ones.

o

We lost one also. Each of our neighbors on either side lost one also. The only one we didn't lose is tucked up under an awning that gets no water, so I'm inclined to believe that all the rain we got last year is what actually killed them off.

I cut ours back to the stump just to make sure it's gone. If nothing sprouts by this time next month, I'm planting another, or some similar low-growing evergreen edible herb.

o

I didn't think about them getting too much water. The one that was up close to the front porch made it. The others looked terrible and I cut them back. My upright type seems to be coming back. My favorite one was my huge protrate type. Today I got a magnifying glass and looked at the branches. There might be a little sign of comeback, so I am waiting to see. I took some cuttings from the one that did make it, and of course I am sure everyone knows they root very easily so I will get some new ones that way.

o

I lost a very old one but the rest survived wonderfully well.

o

Mine is fine, but I did have to prune off a lot of dead branches.

o

Well, I gave up on them. Luckily my cuttings from the one that survived are doing well, and I picked up a Tuscan Blue the other day, and am going to get a Huntington Carpet variety tomorrow. Can't find the Prostrate Rosemary in Rome anywhere this year. Can't live without Rosemary, probably my favorite plant, (besides my old garden roses, of course).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here