Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Ceeome Seeds

nwgatreasures
14 years ago

Is it too late to start these seeds?

If no, does it make a difference if I started them indoors or outdoors in the ground?

Any additional growing tips appreciated. I've looked at all the sites about them but I can't find anything that would lead me to a definite direction on planting the seeds now and experience is most often better than 'educational information' on a website.

thanks in advance,

Dora

Comments (10)

• jeff_al
    14 years ago

if you are talking about cleome, scatter the seeds now where you want them to grow. i find they are easy care plants but don't always transplant well when taller than a couple of inches. mine reseed enough each year that i have to thin them out and they normally show up about this time of year. they need at least a half-day of sun. i usually pinch out the tops when they get about a foot or two tall. this will develop laterals, give you more flowers and they won't be as apt to fall over in strong wind and rain.

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeff,
    Thank God that you can read my mind (or at least interpret my poor spell check in the post title)!

Yes, I'm talking about Cleome seeds.
    I'm trying to figure out where to put them and I thought sowing them indoors might buy me some time to decide where they are best suited for my landscape.

Are you saying that they will naturally seed and come back next year in that same spot without me doing anything? If so, will they spread?

Dora

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    14 years ago

they are really spiny like asparagus fern, the thorns hurt and can leave a sticker, so give them some roon.

• bagsmom
    13 years ago

I bought a little potted cleome plant at a historic home (cottage garden/pass-along plant sale) about 10 years ago.

Ever since, I have them in my garden. If I want to add some more in another area, all I have to do is cut back a long dry stem that has produced seeds -- and shake it over the ground where I want the plants to grow. It's that simple.

They are a really fun plant!

• susaninnorthga
    13 years ago

You all are making me miss mine. I haven't had any since moving a few years ago. They always came up in my yard before on their own. That is a great tip about pinching the top to make more branching.

• laurelwoodfarms
    13 years ago

I just bought some of the "Sparkler" cleome plants at Grower's Outlet. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Sparklers are sterile and don't reseed- does anyone know if that is true or not?

• susaninnorthga
    13 years ago

I have been looking in Rome for some seeds but can't find any. Boy, I really want some again after reading this thread. Will call Lavender Mountain Hardware tomorrow and see if they have any. If I can get some, I plan on just scattering them here and there to see what happens.

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susan in N Ga,
    No need to visit Lavender Mountain. I'm around the corner from them and I would gladly share some of my seeds. I still have about a teaspoon of them that I haven't started.

If you will email me at my screen name at comcast.net, I will share with you how you can get some (that is, if you are interested)

Dora

• susaninnorthga
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks, I will email. I was trying to locate where we are supposed to edit our profile pages on the forums so that people can email us, and I can't find it. I think they have changed some things from the way it was a couple of years ago. There used to be a place where you could tell a little about yourself and make updates.

• susaninnorthga
    13 years ago

I read over at the Annuals forum that the seeds need to be cold for a while. The post said to sow them in some moist soil and then keep them in the refrigerator for two weeks. Then when you put them out in the sun they will really take off. Any thoughts about that? Thanks.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH