Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggplant30038

Has anyone planted their garden yet.....

eggplant30038
13 years ago

After planting my garden over three weeks ago, things are looking really good. The tomatoes has nice little yellow flowers, cucumbers and squash are making their true leaves. Peppers, onions, carrots, corn, etc... are doing well.

How is your garden doing??

Crissy

Comments (11)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

My spring garden is still pumping out the good stuff, but I need to get some beds cleared out for tomatoes soon. I put in a bean trellis yesterday (too early for beans but at least the trellis is in. I need to develop a large new area too, which will take quite a bit of work...

• eggplant30038
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My cabbage and brocolli is doing great - hopefully it matures before the heat starts setting in. Is it really too early for beans? I planted mine last week and they are sprouting up....I am very impatient when it comes to gardening. Hopefully we will not have any more frost until November. I am now worried about the "severe" weather we are expecting tomorrow night...

• caeebe
    13 years ago

My peas still haven't reached peak harvest yet and I'm still trying to decide when to plant my beans. I'm eating lots of lettuce from the bonnie transplants I put in early March but my radishes and lettuces from seed are still really little. I think I might go get some pepper and eggplant plants next week as I think it has warmed up enough for them. Last year I didn't get anything planted until late May and it just wasn't long enough to get a good harvest.

• aunt-tootie
    13 years ago

The lettuce, swiss chard and spinach that I had in pots are gone-they started becoming bitter and bolting about 3 weeks ago. Days are already getting very warm down here in south GA. The garden peas I planted in February are beginning to flower now, but I'm wondering if they will produce well with the high temps we are having. I started tomatoes, squash, zukes and eggplants from seeds in January and set out the transplants on 3/25. Birds clipped the tops of some of the tomatoes for nesting material so I caged them (the plants, not the birds) and the plants are coming out again. The stems of the squash and zuke transplants became mushy at ground level so the plants went belly up(I had read in another post that you can smear Vick's Vapor Rub on squash stems to prevent SVB, so that's what I did.....but I think the Vick's killed the squash and zukes!) On 4/12, I direct seeded squash and zukes to replace the plants I lost. The flea beetles are already chewing holes in the eggplants.

YEA FOR GARDENING IN SOUTH GEORGIA!!!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

We've eaten radish, kale, swiss chard and spinach all winter. We're still on some of it. I've got onions and peas in, and favas are going to flower tomorrow.
    I tend to put in my summer veg later than most. Some climbing beans need VERY warm soil to get going properly, bush beans can often go in earlier. The biggest problem is if the beans rot in the wet, cool soil. Yours aren't so they should be fine!
    My neighbor harvested his cabbage yesterday.

• bagsmom
    13 years ago

I'm looking at two sturdy, nice raised beds. One has a cilantro plant in it. Tall and lovely, but fell over in a storm. The other bed has a second cilantro plant next to it. Also fallen over.

IN the beds are...... NOTHING! Supposedly there are about ten asparagus plants in there, but I've seen nothing. Nada. Zip. Since I have ninja squirrels, I don't know if putting in tomatoes will be worth the stress and anger.

But I sure did miss having some cherokee purples last year. Dang fluffy tailed rats.

On the non-vegetable side of things.... stuff is popping up all over the place.

Right now, I'm going to go out and continue moving rocks for my dry creek. At some point, I'll take pictures.

Bye for now!

• buford
    13 years ago

We're putting our tomato and peppers out Sunday. We are trying Smart Pots this year. I'm really excited! We already have a baby pepper and eggplant.

• mackga
    13 years ago

I have not planted my garden yet but will start in a few weeks. I have tranplants ready to go. We have such a long growing season, I alway wait for the soil to get good and warm. We cut the first Asparagus 4/11/2011. I can't wait to get growing.

Here is a link that might be useful: BarryZone Gardens

• woody_ga
    13 years ago

I was going to wait, but... I found 5 Tomato plants at Growers Outlet. They were calling my name! Planted them Saturday. They were too lanky too wait.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I'm aiming at getting a lot in next week. We put together very large and expansive new stone beds today, and I need more "stone" (cement) to finish that off, and will order the soil and compost to fill them tomorrow. I have lots of stuff to amend the other beds once I finishe removing the cole crops and chopping them up. I worked so hard yesterday on chopping all that biomass for the compost heap I blistered my hands last night!

• susancol
    13 years ago

Garlic, shallots and English peas are in since last fall. Peas are almost ready for harvest!

I have spring veggies in that are in harvest mode: turnips, radishes, lettuce, broccoli and kale. And I have beet greens but no beet roots yet. These were all put in around Valentines day.

I have both early and late season red potatoes that went in about St. Paddy's day.

I planted my summer veggies last weekend and the weekend before that. Tomatoes, eggplants, peppers and herbs all went in 4/9 and squash/melon/cucumber seeds were direct sown 4/16. (I wish I had done the direct sowing a few weeks earlier.)

Good luck to everyone on their garden this season!
    Susan

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus