Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your longest blooming clematis?

Posted by girlgroupgirl 8 Atlanta (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 07 at 13:43

Most of my clematis bloom in spurts, or only in the spring.
What kinds bloom all (or most) of the summer for you?

GGG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your longest blooming clematis?

http://www.silverstarvinery.com/

This is a good source for clematis and gives blooming times.

I have one clematis (Josephine) that does spring and autumn (but not as big a bloom in autumn).

I have planted 5 this spring so we will see how they do.

o

Mind you I only have two kinds of blooming size, but of those Dr. Ruppel (spelling?) seems to bloom nicely for me most of the summer/fall. We've had it for several years and it Has a typical 1 or 2 good shows but then continued to bloom sporadically as well. It also grows faster than my Jackmannii.

Squirrellypete

o

This site had some interesting info that may be useful:

http://hummingbirdfarm.net/clematis_varieties.htm

o

This Etoile Violette blooms for about 3 or 4 weeks and then is taken over by the Clematis viorna which blooms from spring until late summer. You can see the C.viorna coming up to the top in this pic. Not sure why my camera seems to make the Violette so blue, they are more purple than they look here.

Then after all the blooms are long gone from the C. Etoile Violette I get these little bumble bee magnets for about 3 months. So far, the mailman has yet to complain.

o

Vroomp,
Your clematis are gorgeous! Where did you get C. viorna? The Violetta seems more vigorous than the other, is that a problem? or not?

o

My longest blooming clematis is C. texensis. But you trade a momentary, big show of a hybrid for its long, sporadic bloom time. Clematis texensis blooms all summer. I love it though. It seems more heat-tolerant than the others.

o

I actually "rescued" my C.viorna from an area around the Chatahoochee that was being developed. All attempts to start seed or start new vines from layering have failed. I plan to use another method this year in my attempts to propagate this one.
Having them compete for space doesn't seem to matter to these vines. The viorna has a longer growth period.

o

I have heard that Huldine will bloom all summer long. It is very pretty with stripes on the back of the blooms. I am looking everywhere for this one!

o

gorgeous blooms vroomp. I think it may be your computer monitor that makes the purple appear more blue because on my computer they look true purple. Does anyone know of a more blue clematis? I would love to find one with blue flowers.

o

this one can appear blue in certain lighting but it really looks like a shade of purple/lavender most of the time.
'blue ravine' is blooming now but does not repeat during the growing season.
i like it anyway. ;-)

(click thumbnail for larger image)

o

Hello, Kathyga:
There are several that are nice blues, but the "Belle of Woking" is my favorite. It has gorgeous, doubled blue flowers. They look like huge zinnias. I think I saw a picture of some while in eBay the other night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here