Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tragedy by the pond

Posted by chezron 7bish (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 14:10

What would do such a thing? This morning I found a toad with three of his limbs bitten off. It happened during the night. Would a raccoon do something like this? I kind of doubt it since it would seem like the raccoon would eat the whole toad. Do you have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tragedy by the pond

Sounds more like a cat to me.

o

Snapping turtles are notorious for de-limbing toads. Toads taste bad (skin secretions) the turtles tend to leave them rather than eat them entirely. Something I witnessed as a kid growing up on a backwoods creek

o

My cats never mess with toads/frogs. Anoles and skinks, yes, but not toads/frogs.

o

"This morning I found a toad with three of his limbs bitten off."

Its called nature....things are harsh in nature. Food chain. And of course you should try to not visit certain countries where humans thy cut off all four frog legs for food and leave rest of it to die.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss_news/Is_frog_delicacy_on_its_last_legs.html?cid=1301504

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here