Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blazepepper

Good Southern Gardening/Lawn magazine? wanted

blazepepper
16 years ago

Anyone know of a good magazine to subsribe to with good tips, products, etc, relevant to the southeast and/or ga?

Comments (6)

• hdladyblu_2007
    16 years ago

southern living

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

There this one - these guys actually do several "state" gardening magazines. You can buy an individual copy at certain places to see if you like it. Click on the "where to buy" tab on the left side.

Like HGTV, I find Southern Living to be more home/decor/cooking than gardening to be of much value.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Gardening

• lrvjim
    13 years ago

I know that the library in Gwinnett County keeps issues of Georgia Gardening and Fine Gardening. You could stop by there and look them over, see if you like them.

As much as I enjoy the immediacy of the internet, I still like sitting on the sofa, thumbing through a good magazine.

• jay_7bsc
    13 years ago

Like many other magazines, _Southern Living_ has been in a downward spiral for the past thirty, or so, years. It used to be much better than it is today. As we all know, the print journalism industry is in a crisis.

girlgroupgirl is right in her praise of _Carolina Gardening_. It is a splendid, well-focused, well-illustrated magazine, appropriate for Georgians as well as Carolinians who garden.

• mk87
    13 years ago

I really like both Southern Living and Georgia Gardening and I think they both have positives and negatives.

What I tend to get out of the Southern Living is landscaping design ideas, rather than specific plant information. They will sometimes do a section on...say...hydrangeas, or crape myrtles or whatever. That's not all that interesting to me, just because there's a LOT of information out there about those types of things. But, I like them for the pix...by that same token, the Southern Living Garden Book and their Landscape Book are both useful for the same thing. Nothing better on a cold winter day, than re-working my way through the Landscape Book to dream about what I'd like to do in the spring garden.

With GA Gardening, what I like is the info on new plants and if there's any local info on plant diseases and pests. What I don't like about it, is...it's a little...(just my opinion)...not very professional, I guess? And, the regional reports (at least for my area) used to be better, but the past year or so, I haven't found them to be very interesting/helpful. Last year, though, they did a really good, thorough series on veggie gardening and I thought that was pretty good...went over several issues.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I like Steve Bender's Grumpy Gardener site online too.
    I gave up on Southern Living along time ago.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH