Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntnete_gw

lilacs and peonies

auntnete
14 years ago

My favorite flower is the peony. I always thought they would not do well in middle Georgia. More and more I see them advertised to grow locally. Has anyone been successful with them?

Also, my husband loves lilacs. I have tried several and they grow well but never bloom.

I would so appreciate any information or tips.

Comments (9)

• buford
    14 years ago

I planted 5 lilacs a few years ago. It may take awhile for them to bloom. This year I have 4 of them blooming. The one that's not blooming I transplanted this winter.

I think a lot depends on the winter weather. If we get enough cold, they do better. I'm a bit further north, so it gets colder here. Also there are some lilacs that are specifically for the south. Lavender Lady is supposed to do well in the south.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Today I say some peonies at pikes in 2-3 gal pots, at $35. eacke. They were like 3-4 year old with buds on them.

Years ago I planted some from rhizmus. It took them a while to get bigger but they bloomed the second year on. Every year they get bigger. You can dig them up in fall, divide and plant to have more.

Peonies do fine around here (North Atlanta). I have seen them grow in Missouri and connecticut as well.
    They are getting ready to bloom right now, may be in another week or two.

Lilacs grow very well up north. I think they need a very cold winter to bloom. That is why I do not see them around here. They come in pink, lavender and white colors and smell great. We had a lot of them in Connecticut.

• atlantamand
    14 years ago

Hey there Auntnete,
    I too, LOVE peonies. I grew up in Michigan and did alot of research when moving here 5 years ago to see if they were possible. Now I am the happy owner of 21 peonies! They are bursting out of the ground... one 3 foot tall already! I live in Dacula... so a bit north of you, but the nurseries carry them, and I've had success with the ones they sell. Growers Outlet sells them 3 for 10, and although you need to wait a year at least to get the buds, for that cheap you can have a yard full. They usually have Sarah, Festiva Maxima, and a red... maybe Kansas? The ones I found good for the South and grow are Kansas, Mons. Jules Elie (wow soft pink) Lady Alexander Duff (wonderful pink) Bowl of Beauty (pink and yellow awesome!) Festiva Maxima (white with pink tips) and Sarah B. (pink and perfect)Most were mail order. Ones I've read that are great for your zone are Mt. St. Helen, Picotee, Green lotus, Monsier Jules Elie, and any Japanese Peony. Avoid heavy doubles and plant early varieties before it gets too hot. Mine prefer a bit of shade. The full sun ones are big right now, but get dry and ugly during the summer. Still bloom the next year though. What a treat it is to have them here. I hope you get some... they'll make you so happy!
    Happy gardening,
    Atlantamand

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

There is a grove of lilacs just north of Hastings which blooms abundantly and sweetly every year. It's a block behind the Brookhaven library around back of the MARTA station.

I am proud to say that after 3 years my Growers Outlet peony has ONE BLOOM :) This thing has been ABUSED - a year and a half ago it was heaped with gravel when they removed my driveway. I lost almost all my plants there (desite the guys not supposed to be putting anything behind the silt fence!!). After the abuse, neglect and weeds...IT IS GOING TO BLOOM!!

Ha!
    Gardeners like to think they have control, however, they never really do!!

• esga
    14 years ago

Atlantamand, thanks for the peony recommendations! It's especially good to know that Bowl of Beauty has done well for you, as I see that in catalogs and slaver over it. I have a white or pink I picked up last year at G.O. - I don't expect it to bloom this year, I don't see a hint of bud yet. I would like to add to more and now I know what!

• rjinga
    14 years ago

My ONE peonie that I bought on clearance last year from Walmart, I think its Sarah Bernhardt, grew some and then this year it's much bigger and has 2 buds on it, I cant wait to see how it looks. I have it in a HUGE pot under a pergola on my brick patio. It gets some shade, but not a lot.

• dianne1089
    10 years ago

I live in Dacula GA and my peonies are just about to burst. I have had them for several years and they always bloom. I don't remember where I purchased them. I buy mostly from Growers Outlet in Loganville, but I didn't see them listed on their site today.

• vicki7
    10 years ago

I have several Festiva Maxima peonies that are in full bloom right now. They get morning sun and shade in the afternoon, and always do great. I had heard that Miss Kim lilac does well in Ga., so I planted one and I'm very pleased with it. I saw some at Lowe's in Buford a few days ago.

• ozzielewis
    10 years ago

I have had great success with Peony "Kansas" in Atlanta. I planted roots in fall and the next spring had beautiful flowers. Each year, they are more numerous. Kansas is a pinkish red. I have planted some Sarah Bernhardt the same way but have not had blooms in the past two springs. I planted them in a less sunny area, so perhaps this is the problem.