Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Daisy Gardenias frost damage

Posted by kathyga_z7 Cumming (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 15:17

I have a ton of Daisy Gardenias that look awful after the frost. Odd since I hadn't really noticed much new growth prior to the freeze and normally they look great all winter. They are all brown and black and crispy about 2/3 of the way down most branches. Do I need to wait for new growth of branches or will those branches get new leaves? Should I just try and knock off the crispy leaves or would I be best to cut them back? If I cut them back to green growth they will only be 6-8 inches tall. One particular grouping is front and center to my front island bed and I was going to plant some annuals in front of them and don't want the dead leaves falling all over the annuals so I don't want to just wait and see what they do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Daisy Gardenias frost damage

I would think that if they are going to come back (along the frost bitten part) you'd see some indication now.

o

My mini gardenias look deader and deader every day. I really don't know what happened. They survive much lower temps in the winter.

o

• Posted by efam z7b GA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 8:38

Whew! I'm relieved to find out I'm not the only one with horrible looking gardenias. I've already pulled one out of the ground. I'm praying for a miracle with the other two. They were so pretty last year...now they have black stems and barely any leaves.

o

My gardenia radicans (the small ones) look terrbile and may not make it. However, my August Beauty gardenias are looking good!

o

I have been ignoring my mini gardenias, but did see a glimpse of bright green among the black and brown mess. I'll give it another week and if there is still green showing, I'll clip off the dead stuff and leave it in the ground.

o

how do I know parts are really dead? I have 3 of the dwarf variety (I planted them last year). There are bright green leaves on the edges but the centers are brown and woody with crunchy leaves and the whole plant seems to be growing flat along the ground instead of mounding. I cut some of the brown stuff off and found green in the wood, so I think I'm just going to leave them alone for a while and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here