Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vermi-Composting: Anyone?

Posted by tjani (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 15:24

Does anyone do vermi-composting on this particular thread and has success? I would love to see pictures of what you use etc.
Thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vermi-Composting: Anyone?

My son did a worm composting setup for middle school and it went strong for many years. We would restart it with news paper strips and compost from the original periodically. We used the book--Worms Eat my Garbage. It was in a large rubbermaid tub that was set up on bricks. When it got too full we would put 2 halves of a cantaloupe in and most of the adult worms would congregate in them for easy removal.

o

"2 halves of a cantaloupe in and most of the adult worms would congregate in them for easy removal."

LOL.

Very inspiring.

Could you post pictures if you still have them? I am bit intimidated...I wish I had some help in creating a bin like that.

Thanks Frankielynn for sharing!!

o

Here is a link to the bin I built using a spare rolling trash bin.

http://vermicomposters.ning.com/forum/topics/first-post-my-flow-through

I keep this outside all year and the worms come back every year. Shredded paper, cardboard and kitchen scraps keep the worms fed. I do get small flies on occasion but who cares?

o

I don't have any pictures--my son is now 31. There is a lot of info on the web under the book 'Worms eat my Garbage' We had another teenager at church that made spending money with an old chest freezer that he had modified and grew worms in and sold for fishing if you want to get into it big time. When we had the rubbermaid set up I worked w/four 2nd grade classes that set up mini worm farms in their classrooms in cafateria ice cream buckets. They kept them from Christmas until the end of the school year and I brought them home to their rubbermaid friends.

o

This link should get you up to speed on worm composting in a hurry. Lots of fun and friendly folks.

http://vermicomposters.ning.com/profile/StevenChow

Larry

o

Larry, Frankie, NYC...Thanks a bunch. I will see if anyone is getting rid of theirs and try to get hold of it...looks too complicated and I don't have the tools to create one.

Thanks,
T

o

Tjani, I have the tools and will help you. Maybe I'll do it also. I'll need to read more to see where I could store in the wintertime - no space in the kitchen.

Get those bins and come on over.

Rosie

o

I have several plastic empty buckets. I can bring those. These buckets don't have a lid...won't I need a lid for a good vermicomposter?

I can buy a big trash can from walmart. What else do I bring? I am excited and bit nervous about those earthwarms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here