Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westender_gw

supplier of organic supplements

WestEnder
18 years ago

I've been looking for quite awhile for greensand. Most people look at me with puzzled expressions and ask if I mean green-colored sand for my aquarium. Those few who have heard of it (like Urban Gardener on Boulevard) told me I don't need it; I should just use lime. I want to use it, though, so I kept looking.

Finally I found someone who will order it for me, Standard Feed and Seed on Brannen Road here in Atlanta. In discussing my order with the owner I learned that he used to order lots of organic materials but found there wasn't much of a market for them. So a couple of years ago, he said, he stopped ordering much organic stuff. But he can still get them if we want them.

I don't mean to just put in a plug for a certain store, because I have no financial interest in the store. But I would really like to see the items I want become more available. For instance, he can get the full line of Espoma products - not just in the tiny overpriced bags I'm used to seeing occasionally at Pike or other stores, but in 50 pound bags at volume prices. He has corn gluten (unfortunately pelletized; he says he asked for meal but it came pelletized) in 50 lb. bags for $10.50. Everyone has complained about how expensive this has been to buy; $10.50 sounds cheap to me.

GGG is the person who told me about this store; it's off the Gresham Rd. exit of I-20 heading East. I've gone there several times over the past year or two to buy cottonseed meal and alfalfa meal, in large bags for very reasonable prices. Today I learned he can also get dried molasses for me, something I've been reading alot about lately as a fire ant killer and soil micro-nutrient builder.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know about this resource. I'm hoping that if other people call him to let him know they, too, are interested in buying organic supplies, he will be encouraged to order these things and keep them on his shelves again.

The owner's name, by the way, is Ben Folsom, and their number is (404) 241-6922. If you're looking for something unusual, why not call and ask if he can find it for you? And then why not let the rest of us know what kind of success you had? Maybe you'll give us ideas about things we never would have thought of using, or never would have thought of asking for.

Comments (14)

• sharon_ga_zone7
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. I think GGG had told us about that store, but we had trouble finding it that day...

I found greensand @ Hastings but haven't been there lately. Looked for cgm for awhile, but gave up, I guess.

If anyone knows of organic supplies in Gwinnett, please post here or email me. (Other than Cooper's.)

Thanks!
    Sharon

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Greensand is really expensive at garden centers. Epsomia (sp?) does have it. The Urban Gardener says they have the non peletized corn gluten meal but I haven't called for a price or bag size. Definately more than the feed store which is always a fabulous deal.

I started vegetable gardening here from advice from old farmers who still buy their seed from the feed and seed. They will happily tell you when, where and how to plant and usually hang out by the counter.

The feed store also carries other wonderful goodies: aluminum containers of all sizes which make fabulous modern pots and water features. Feed scoops which I adore to scoop and distribute mulch when plants are leafed out. Smaller scoops for mixing your potting mix with other mediums and/or moistening potting mix. Sturdier than most trowels...and of course your alfalfa, cotton seed meal which you use far less of than alfalfa...and indeed, the molassas which I desperately need to get. This will assist your soil and good bacteria in breaking down any larger compostable materials you turn into the soil for drainage. The sugars are also wonderful for your compost heap in heating it up and feeding the appropriate bacteria. I didn't realize it would kill fire ants. I'm getting some!

Debbie, do the corn gluten pellets brake down when watered like the alfalfa does? If so, I could use it on the pathway which has become it's own seedling nursery! I also need about 100lbs to do the entire yard of "grass" next door.

The feed store needs customers. Please please use them so they don't disappear like so many others have!!

GGG

• mairenn
    18 years ago

Boss Country Store on 78 in Loganville (between Lawrenceville and Athens) will order corn gluten for you. Like the other store, they don't keep it in stock because they don't have enough demand.

• WestEnder
    Original Author
    18 years ago

One other thing I forgot to mention about that feed store is that they had all the bean seeds I had been planning to order online, only VERY CHEAP and in loose bins so that I could have bought by large quantity if I had wanted to. I bought only an ounce, I think, but it got me a large envelope at a cost of only a dollar an envelope. I was very pleased.

• chezron
    18 years ago

Thank you sooo much for the info! Organics is the way to go!

• nosyrosie
    18 years ago

I went to that feed and seed store after having read about it on this post, about a year and a half ago.

I think I did ask one of the clerks about corn gluten, which is what I went to get as a preemergent. I don't recall exactly the conversation but it was an unfruitful and embarrassing visit.

I am not comfortable in the store; there's a bunch of old country boys hanging around and I feel so citified and Spanish and everything else foreign. I had a hard time there. (Of course, I'm very paranoid...)

I will try again perhaps. The stuff in the Epsoma bags is like $5.00 for a tiny bit -- the prices quoted sound good.

rb

• sharon_ga_zone7
    18 years ago

Thanks Mairenn - tried Boss a year or so back & I think they had cgm, but it was either in pellet form or it had something mixed in w/it - which was the problem w/the Cooper's cgm. It was some kind of animal fat, which sort of grossed me out. (I'm a vegetarian.)

GGG, I had not thought of using scoops. Great idea. Lots of times my trowels aren't big enough for what I'm trying to do.

Rosie, those G.O.B.s probably just thought you were cute & exotic. They would probably load bags in your car/truck if you winked @ them! Also, I don't think many feed store clerks know that cgm can be used as a pre-emergent. They looked @ me funny too!

Sharon

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Rose, you are so silly! Everyone who meets you thinks you are the greatest thing since sliced bread! You are so funny, and sweet AND you are a good gardener! Stop being paranoid.
    Everyone at my church loved you.

GGG

• rahlquist
    18 years ago

Wow! finally a source of CGM for under $1-2/lb.! awesome! I will definately be making a trip out there. Now if i could only get about 800 yds of compost at a decent rate I'd be set!

• ntbio
    17 years ago

Try Nature Turf in Atlanta 770-967-2300, they are an organic lawn service comapny and they also sell to certified organic farms. They do allow some sales of products of corn gluten (they use meal), fertilizers, fungicides etc...if you can show a need (like you cannot get it elsewhere). they also have botanical disinfectants...we use them for turf service (organic program)

Here is a link that might be useful: organic weed control, fertilizers, fungicides for your lawn

• Kathy Bochonko
    17 years ago

Does anyone know anywhere to buy Bradfield Organics products locally? I found a supplier online, but I hate to pay shipping for bagged goods it always adds so much to the price. But from what I am seeing posted about corn Gluten it may still be cheaper for me to get it via Amazon.com. Has anyone ever applied the Corn Gluten? Do you use a spreader or what? Since spreaders are generally designed for granular products does the "meal" work okay in them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bradfield Organics Amazon.com listing

• ntbio
    17 years ago

Nature Turf has Bradfield Organic's 3-1-4 in 40# bags, and also Renaissance 8-2-6 in 50# bags...bot are 34$ I believe and they are in Alpharetta...the Renaissance is OMRI listed as well...

• WestEnder
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to mention that the Pike Nursery location on Roswell Road is going organic this year. My neighbor manages the store, which is also sponsoring our community garden this year. He has convinced Pike to let him sell all-organic vegetables, all-organic herbs, and organic soil supplements, fertilizers, and pest control products this year. The way I understand it, this is sort of a test that Pike is allowing to see whether people really want to buy organic things, so I am going to try to support them as I have been supporting other stores that offer organic products upon my request. That also includes the Ace Hardware in the West End, which immediately offered the products I asked for last year and continues to stock things that I especially want (I live in the West End).

If you have a local store you frequent, talk to the manager about organics. If you have friends and fellow gardeners who shop at the same place, you should be able to buy enough to make it worth the store's while to supply what you want. I've also found that whenever I'm in the West End Ace Hardware store, people ask me questions about gardening products, giving me an opportunity to promote my gardening philosophies and showing the hardware store personnel that I really can bring them customers who will also buy the products I've requested. The last time I bought my favorite garden gloves there (stocked at my request) several other people in line bought them along with me.

• buford
    15 years ago

The Tractor Supply in Winder also has alfalfa (sold as horse or pig feed) and probably other items. I did buy alfalfa, but am going to go back to get more cottonseed meal, blood and bone meal and epsom salts in large quantities. I mix it all together for rose feed.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor