Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native plants to keep a slope from eroding

Posted by atrox 7- N. Atlanta (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 17:27

I am trying to find a native plant to use on a sloped area in my back yard to help prevent the slope from eroding away. I want something native to GA (or at least the southeast), evergreen, 6-30-ish inches tall, and at least somewhat fast growing. The slope gets a decent amount of sun morning and afternoon, but is shaded by mid-afternoon. The slope ends in a natural wooded/stream area.

I have had no luck finding anything myself, so I was hoping the forum would have some ideas. Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native plants to keep a slope from eroding

That's a tough combination: native, evergreen, under 30 inches AND fast-growing. Not sure you can have all those characteristics (and be able to locate some of it).

A classic ground cover is Rhus aromatica 'Grow Low', but it is not evergreen. Leucothoe axillaris is evergreen but not necessarily fast (not the first two years) and is more than 30 inches tall.

Phlox subulata is native, evergreen and low growing - readily available in stores all over the place right now because it is blooming. Don't know how fast it is.

You could certainly consider a mix of things. Shrubs and trees usually provide the best root system to hold a slope, so a few of those strategically placed with some groundcovers for looks might be a good approach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Native Plant Society

o

I don't know if wintergreen would fit the bill? What do you think, Esh? I don't know that it would stop errosion. It doesn't move very quickly, that's for sure.

Dwarf itea is great for holding in slopes, but it's not evergreen.

o

By "wintergreen", do you mean Chimaphila maculata or Gaultheria procumbens? Chimaphila would not be suitable and I don't have any experience with Gaultheria - it is only native to the far northern counties of Georgia. Just a little bit of research says it does not like heat and humidity and prefers "cool summers".

o

Last year I planted at least a dozen varieties of plants/bushes on my slope. I ventured outside and I see that butterfly bush (I think) has done well. I can see some mexican lavendar but mostly I don't see other bushes I planted.
:(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here