Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildflower_gw

Snake ID Please....PIC

wildflower
18 years ago

First off, no snakes have been harmed. I've just been seeing more than I've ever seen in my yard so far this year, and wondering what some of them are...I've been to the GA DNR website but I'm having problems comparing what I'm seeing with the pictures they have. Is this just a common "brown snake"?

Comments (16)

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Can't see the back very well, but it certainly has the coloration of a copperhead!

Did you look at pictures for copperhead?

Did it have stripes (ok snake) or blotches?

• wildflower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just now took 2 more pics, but the 1st one was the best I have so far.

The pattern that I've seen and according to this site is either crossbands or blotches.

Whatever it is, he isn't afraid of me at all...This same snake likes to hang out in the clematis vines that are growing up my deck. I have potted plants on the railing above him and if I'm watering above his head, he just sits and hisses at me. I've seen quite a few of this same type in different spots in the yard...

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Patterns

• garden_graphic_gal
    18 years ago

General rule of thumb~pointed head and round pupils = no-poisonous, triangular head w/wide jaw and oval or "slit-type" pupils=poisonous. He doesn't have the triangular shaped head.

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

I don't think it is a copperhead. can't remember what they are called, but don't think its poisonous. However, it could still give you a nasty suck! I have killed two copperheads this week in the garden, and my neighbor has killed another couple too. Looks like this is going to be the year for snakes.

• bobbygil
    18 years ago

Call the extension office in your county and you can probably send them that picture. They are pretty good with that stuff and if they dont know it they will give you a couple of names of snake guys who will know.I would like to know because I have a 6ft one that looks just like that

• vroomp
    18 years ago

It appears to be a small Pine Snake, but they usually like to be near sandy areas. Copperheads have an hourglass pattern across their backs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snakes of georgia

• wayne_mo
    18 years ago

wildflower,

Two kudos for you! First for not harming the snakes and second for identifying the snake correctly! Your hunch that it is just a common brown snake is, in fact, correct. It is a Midland Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi wrightorum) which is the subspecies of common brown snake found in Georgia. It's an adult as the adults are typically only 9 to 13 inches long. They are completely harmless, very common in gardens, and frequently mistaken for baby copperheads though their pattern lacks the copperhead's alternating hershey kiss pattern.

They are completely harmless. No worries.

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

Here are two sites I use to identify snakes. Both are from North Carolina, but I figure they're close enough to Georgia to count. One has a search system and one has good pictures.
    Here's the one with the good pictures: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/snakepix3.html

Here's the one with the search system: http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herps_of_NC/snakes/SnakeID/search.asp

• wildflower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks very much to all of you that answered! It's been so difficult for me looking at pics on the net and trying to compare. I did look up the Midland Brown Snake as Wayne suggested and found a picture someone in Dekalb co. had of one, and it looks exactly the same to me. I'm just glad to know they're harmless since there seem to be so many of them!

• holton
    18 years ago

Good pictures. Thanks for the snake id sites. I am TRYING to be more snake friendly. I just seem to come across my share of them. I'm trying.........

• paulspeed_mac_com
    14 years ago

I'm not sure if this is where I can post a related question... I live in SW Missouri and was hoeing some weeds beside my house and accidentally chopped a small snake in two. I've identified it as a Midland Brown Snake. I noticed the mortally injured snake, though only 7 or 8 inches long, had babies wriggling out of its belly. So I pulled all of them out and carefully placed them into a jar. There are about a dozen that are still alive. I've had them about 3 hours now. Any suggestions on what to feed them? They're about the size of a toothpick and I can't imagine they could feed themselves on their own. I'm wondering if earthworms cut into tiny pieces would work for them...

• goericins75_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I found a snake and dont know what it was it was grey with small yellow stripes on its neck and its neck flared out like a cobra and it was a pointed nosed can someonr tell me what it was and if it was poisinous

• tjani
    13 years ago

I can understand if you find them in your bedroom/bathroom and kill them but in the garden? They belong there...even the poisonous ones and shouldn't be killed.

Cause of Death Lifetime Odds

Snake, Bee or other Venomous Bite or Sting*
    1-in-100,000

• bagsmom
    13 years ago

Paul -- are the babies still alive? What did you end up doing for them? I accidentally ran over a brown snake with my mower and felt terrible. Just nicked his tail though -- I think he survived.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Eric - call your extension service.

• wayne_mo
    13 years ago

Eric,

Sounds like an Eastern Hognose Snake. Nonvenomous. They do flare their neck like cobras and can also hiss (one of very few US snakes that can actually do this, despite the widespread impression of snakes doing this)..and have very pointed noses.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!