Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question

Posted by winter_flurry Zone 7 Ga (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 17:34

I'm wanting to plant Devil Claws here. Will it act like Kuduz here or will it not? Just curious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question

I had one to come up as a volunteer last summer in one of my garden beds. I saved some seeds and gave most of them away. After soaking them overnight I planted them in a large pot. They have not sprouted as of yet. After dealing with the one in my flower bed I would not want to take a chance on them spreading.

o

Thank you and I planted mine in 2 5 gallon buckets.

o

What is the scientific name for Devil Claws? I don't even know what plant you're talking about.

o

Proboscidea parviflora

o

winter_flurry___
By chance, are you referring to the S. African medicinal plant, Harpagophytum procumbens? Additionally, there are several American native and introduced species in Genera Proboscidea and Urtica, that are often referred to as Devil's Claw. These are classified by various organizations as invasive or potentially invasive, since the seed are easily distributed by animals and even hikers, as the "claws" attach the seed to hair, fur and clothing.
One such plant, Urtica urens, can be found in abundance along the S. Atlantic coastal area in GA. An Introduced species, it is also called Stinging Nettle, because of the stiff hairs on the stems and foliage, that contain toxins which cause a rather painful experience when puncturing one's skin! (Been there, done that!)

o

That is the plant I'm talking about amd Horse hooves can spread the seeds also. Thank you.

o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/btowns/Stranger.jpg
There are quite a few devils claws. The one I have is
Proboscidea louisianica

Since posting yesterday I have two babies to pop up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here