Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these and what do I do w/ them?

Posted by nwgatreasures (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 9, 09 at 17:56

This is from a lone hyacinth in my kitchen window flowerbed.

are these seeds? Can they be grown into plants? If so, how?

Dora

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these and what do I do w/ them?

It is quite possible.

Any bulb can produce seeds from which you can grow the same.
Just consider regular onion; If you plant one it will grow
(just like hyacinth), it will flower (like hyacinth does) and will make seeds( like YOUR hyacinth)
I have seen lots of daffodills to grow seed. Actually I have one right now that is almost dry, its head is hanging down and has a seed pod. O! Goodness, I have two of them.
Now that you asked this question, I am going to let my daffodill seed pods completely ripen and dry and I will find out how to plant them.
Some plants with rhizmus (like potato) also flower and make seeds. So there are two ways to plant potatoe;
One from seed (like tomato seeds) and the other using a potato rhitzmus.

Generally, a plants purpose of blooming is to produce seeds and by that means to propagate its gene, to guarantee the survival his specey.
In potato and bulb plants they have two alternative. Just like a lot of plants, both multiply from seeds and roots.

Let your hyacinth seeds dry naturally and experiment with planting and growing more hyacinths. I am going to try my daffodills also.

o
RE: What are these and what do I do w/ them?

My hyacinth's and daffodils have pods on them. I'm hoping to harvest seeds and grow them as well. I love growing bulbs from seed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here