Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindi_ks

need advice for plant shopping in Atlanta

Cindi_KS
15 years ago

Hello

IF the weather cooperates both here in Kansas and there in Atlanta, I will get to spend Easter weekend in Atlanta with my husband, who is temporarily working there.

I would like to find a few plants that I can't find up here. I also welcome suggestions for botanical gardens to tour. Plants I'd kind of like to find:

Illicium, Bottlebrush Buckeye, viburnums, crinums, nun's orchids, banana shrub. Or anything else that is unique. I can winter over tropicals in a sunroom.

Sure appreciate any insider information! Many times I've traveled to cities and used the yellow pages to find nurseries, driving all over to find them closed. We will go to the Perimeter college Native plant sale--assuming it is still on during bad weather?

Cindi

Comments (10)

• bobbygil
    15 years ago

This plant sale is Fri and Sat. Check the list of dealers and see if you like anything. I always go and think its a great sale http://www.hcmgs.com/page/page/5175722.htm

• Cindi_KS
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Bobby! The link didn't say how late they will be selling plants on Friday. My plane is supposed to get in at 4 on Friday, I wonder if there's any way I can make it up there before they close for the day?
    Cindi

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Probably not! The airport is a long way from Hall County, especially with Friday afternoon traffic.

Where in Atlanta will you be (north, south, east, west?). Nearly Native Nursery in Fayetteville (south of the airport) is a good place.

• Cindi_KS
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My husband said we'll be near the airport...Peachtree City? Nearly Native sounds like a great place. I'll add it to the list of "must-visits". I'm so used to having to drive long distances for cool plants that if I know the business hours of a place, I'll find a way to get there. Last time I was down south, I was amazed at the good looking, low priced plants I found at Home Depot. You wouldn't believe how much more expensive plants are up here.
    Cindi

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Here are my favorites - they aren't as far away as Hall County.

http://www.hastingsgardencenter.com/

http://www.habershamgardens.com

They both always have really neat things. Plus I love therir seeds and bulbs.

Enjoy Atlanta!
    Diana

• carefreeof4
    15 years ago

Here are a few nursery's in the town next to PTC...Country Gardens which is on Lower Fayetteville Rd and Andy's Nursery which is on Hwy 16 (toward Newnan). Andy's probably has more to choose from and is more reasonable priced. Hope this helps.

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

You are an amazing lady.

I just wonder how are you going to take your plants from Atlanta to Kansas? You came by plane, right? and leave by plane? May be you are renting a U-Haul for return trip (LOL)
    By the way, I attended college for one year in Emporia Kansas. That winter it was very cold up there.

• Cindi_KS
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MY, MY, MY...What a wonderful trip this has been. Many many thanks to the posters who steered me right!
    We started the day at the Hall County MG sale. The friendly people there were sooo knowledgeable about what they were selling, and I saw plants I've only heard about. I had a pretty specific shopping list and it took all my will power to stick with it. If I lived down here, I would have filled my van with conifers and Japanese maples, that's for sure. My rules were, purchases had to be small enough to get into the suitcase and then on the plane, rare enough that I couldn't get it at home, and cheap enough for my budget! I found the Illicium I wanted, a Banana shrub, weird forms of cactus and cypress, and a variegated petunia that wasn't on the list, but for $2, I made an addendum to the list. After that, we drove to both Andy's, but they didn't have anything on the list. THEN...drumroll....highlight of my year. Wow. That Nearly Native Nursery is heaven. OMG. Those people are incredible. I didn't buy nearly as much as I wanted, because I'm fighting this plant addiction, but they assured me we can do mail order for what I didn't get this trip. I bought an American Olive, the Bottlebrush Buckeye I most wanted, a Yellowwood tree and a Zenobia, and 2 little deodara cedars. I think we spent 2 hours there, and for the first time ever, my husband wasn't nudging me to hurry. They had the coolest plants, and everything was labeled and priced and they brought out reference books so we could be sure on the zones and planting sites.
    Their trilliums were blooming so they'll be selling them in the fall. Right now, they are worth the trip there just to look at them!
    Tomorrow I will try to visit the other places recommended.
    Cyrus, don't laugh, but one time I did buy too much and my husand had to babysit some plants in his hotel room until he drove back home a month later. This time I'm determined to get small enough plants that they can all be carefully packed to fly with me. I guess I could ship them to myself...but I'm trying this new limit thing. Drat the recession, I'll just skip meals!
    Thanks for your suggestions! Other ideas still welcome.
    cindi

• janisoga
    15 years ago

Can anyone reccomend great nurseries like those above only further north? I live in Sandy Springs and am hoping to find something a maximum of 10 mile vicinity?
    Thanks for your help.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Buck Jones in Woodstock (located about 8 miles north of Crabapple) is great. Right next door to that is Ladyslipper Nursery. About a mile south of those two is Autumn Hill Nursery. Another good one in a more westerly direction is Twin Branch Nursery. Except for Ladyslipper, I think all of these have websites.

Sponsored