Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamiof4

Confederate Rose

mamiof4
14 years ago

Ok I am a new gardner and I am still trying to figure out where are the best places to get seeds, plants, etc. My latest obession is the confederate rose. I have looked locally for for seeds, cuttings or plants but have not been able to find any.I have seen some on ebay and will probably buy it there unless someone can recommend a site or a nursery that I can find some. Thanks everyone!

Comments (7)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

This is not usually sold much but it is a common "passalong" plant, shared by friends and neighbors via cuttings.

You need only to find someone willing to share a cutting or a rooted start with you. I don't have this plant myself or I would offer.

It does get BIG though. Be sure to save a big spot for it. Hibiscus mutabilis is the scientific name and may help you in any internet searches (or not as most people just use the common name).

• mamiof4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Esh I will look under the scientific name and see if I can get any more sites online. I don't personally know anyone that has one or I would beg for a cutting. I wonder if I just stopped at a random house and took a cutting would they be upset...just kidding. I have a huge empty yard that I was hoping to start filling with some big plants and the confederate rose caught my eye.

• kattamos
    14 years ago

Randy's Nursery in Lawrenceville had them about 2 years ago when I bought mine. The h. mutabulisis is root hardy here in North GA. It grows from the roots to about 12 feet tall rapidly. The only problem is hibiscus sawfly, and most any pesticidal soap will kill them. Beautiful huge ptnk flowers from Halloween til Frost or December (whichever comes first)

• mamiof4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks kattamos I ordered some off of ebay because I couldn't find any around here. I didn't know about the sawfly so I am going to look it up. I am hoping that it grows rapidly, I have three yards, (front, side, and back). The kids use the front and side yard but the backyard is never used. I am tired of it looking so sad and empty. I am trying to fill it with flower and vegetable gardens. My husband is tired of mowing so much grass and gave me a budget so I am trying to do something amazing with a small amount of money and little know how. Wish me luck!

• fluffyflowers
    14 years ago

They do grow very fast. I put a lot of water on mine and they grew six feet in one season! They lose all their leaves in winter so you'll have to look at bare sticks for a few months. There is new growth at the base of my plants so I'm about to get out there and cute down the stalks.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's my confederate roses last year

• mamiof4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your flowers were beautiful. That's exactly what I am looking for. My yard is to bare and I am excited at the thought of huge flowering bushes. I plan on adding other plants and bushes but I wanted something big to start of with. I have no problem with the bare sticks in the winter, where I have them planted it shouldn't look to bad. I keep checking on them hoping to see something sprouting. It has been raining a lot lately so I they have had a lot of water. I hope they do really well because I want to add more in my garden. If they do well I want to put some in the front yard as well. I feel like a little kid. I am so excited!

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    14 years ago

Oh, my, I want one too. Does it survive in the heavy clay, or does it need to be well drained?

Sponsored