Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
comotion_gw

Texas Tomato Cages in Atlanta?

comotion
15 years ago

Has anyone seen these sold in or around Atlanta? Mine just arrived, and I'm seriously impressed. I just wish I would have bought the extensions, but I can't bring myself to pay for another round of shipping. I would love to find a local source.

Okay, now bring on the warm weather so I can test these things out!

Comments (11)

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

i would buy a pack of 24" cages if they were local. shipping, at $32 is pretty outrageous!

the hilarious part is, i have so much family right up the road from this place in Karnes City (they're made in Beeville)

if they would combine shipping, i would put in an order with you.

• comotion
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If I can't find them local, that sounds like a plan! I'll let you know what I find.

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

TEXAS TOMATO CAGE?

Can someone explain please what kind of cage it is?

Thanks
    Cyrus

• janen
    15 years ago

I would also be interested to find these in the Atlanta area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Tomato Cage

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info.

They look nice but to me they are prohibitively expensive.

• comotion
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I call the manufacture and there is no GA distributor. I think I might just wait and see if I need the extensions.

At $20 a cage, they are expensive, but I've destroyed a ton of cheaper ones already. IMHO, I should have grabbed these sooner since they should last a long, long time.

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Forget TEXAS, I will support my tomatoes FLORIDA style.
    I've heard, that is how commercial growers do.

1- first, at the time of planting I'll put a stake right next to each plant, without damagin the root later.

2- Tie the main to this stake as plant grows taller.

3- To support the branches, I will put stakes here and there. By running twine from one to other(s) support the branches. This will look kind of like a diamond shaped loops.
    We all have different preferences.
    My preference is NOT to spend alot of money on buying this and that to grow a few ponds of tomatoes. Secondly , I try to stay as clos to the natural look as possible.

I will start my tomato project after this frost scare.

• sweetmelon
    15 years ago

The kind of mesh Lowes was selling last year is much sturdier than the Texas stuff albeit thinner than remesh and costs way less.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb thread

• comotion
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sturdier than Texas? Have you actually seen a Texas? This cage is a beautiful thing in person. Perhaps I'll think differently after a few years of use though...

No mesh for me. I'd rather pay a few bucks more than deal with it each year, but to each their own. I only grow six tomato plants though, so I can how such an expensive product would add up if you grew a ton of tomatoes.

I do love the look of the FL, and would love to try that one. Share some pictures when you get it up and going!

• bugsmom
    15 years ago

These are the best cages ever!!! I have ordered from them twice and have used the cages now for 3 years. Yes, they are pricey...but so worth it if you grow tomatoes!!!

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

ha! i just realized i posted in that thread janen linked above. that reinforcement wire is still intact, but it's so rusty i can't touch it without needing a tetanus shot.

Sponsored