Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texas Tomato Cages in Atlanta?

Posted by comotion z7 ATL (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 20:08

Has anyone seen these sold in or around Atlanta? Mine just arrived, and I'm seriously impressed. I just wish I would have bought the extensions, but I can't bring myself to pay for another round of shipping. I would love to find a local source.

Okay, now bring on the warm weather so I can test these things out!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texas Tomato Cages in Atlanta?

i would buy a pack of 24" cages if they were local. shipping, at $32 is pretty outrageous!

the hilarious part is, i have so much family right up the road from this place in Karnes City (they're made in Beeville)

if they would combine shipping, i would put in an order with you.

o

If I can't find them local, that sounds like a plan! I'll let you know what I find.

o

TEXAS TOMATO CAGE?

Can someone explain please what kind of cage it is?

Thanks
Cyrus

o

• Posted by janen z8 Atlanta (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 3, 09 at 21:53

I would also be interested to find these in the Atlanta area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Tomato Cage

o

Thanks for the info.

They look nice but to me they are prohibitively expensive.

o

I call the manufacture and there is no GA distributor. I think I might just wait and see if I need the extensions.

At $20 a cage, they are expensive, but I've destroyed a ton of cheaper ones already. IMHO, I should have grabbed these sooner since they should last a long, long time.

o

Forget TEXAS, I will support my tomatoes FLORIDA style.
I've heard, that is how commercial growers do.

1- first, at the time of planting I'll put a stake right next to each plant, without damagin the root later.

2- Tie the main to this stake as plant grows taller.

3- To support the branches, I will put stakes here and there. By running twine from one to other(s) support the branches. This will look kind of like a diamond shaped loops.
We all have different preferences.
My preference is NOT to spend alot of money on buying this and that to grow a few ponds of tomatoes. Secondly , I try to stay as clos to the natural look as possible.

I will start my tomato project after this frost scare.

o
Re: Texas Tomato Cages in Atlanta?

The kind of mesh Lowes was selling last year is much sturdier than the Texas stuff albeit thinner than remesh and costs way less.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb thread

o

Sturdier than Texas? Have you actually seen a Texas? This cage is a beautiful thing in person. Perhaps I'll think differently after a few years of use though...

No mesh for me. I'd rather pay a few bucks more than deal with it each year, but to each their own. I only grow six tomato plants though, so I can how such an expensive product would add up if you grew a ton of tomatoes.

I do love the look of the FL, and would love to try that one. Share some pictures when you get it up and going!

o

These are the best cages ever!!! I have ordered from them twice and have used the cages now for 3 years. Yes, they are pricey...but so worth it if you grow tomatoes!!!

o

ha! i just realized i posted in that thread janen linked above. that reinforcement wire is still intact, but it's so rusty i can't touch it without needing a tetanus shot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here