Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Strawberry Plants?

Posted by destin3g99 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 20:14

I have two pots strawberries that made it through the winter. One of them is actually made of up runners from the original pot that I just placed inside a pot full of dirt as they grew over the edge of the other. They're starting to green up and get flowers on them. I really want to eventually get them and some more strawberry plants planted into a raised bed, but that probably won't happen until next summer.

My question is, should I take these out an repot them into bigger pots so they have fresh start in new potting soil?? They fit well in the pots they're in now, but I'm sure by the end of the summer the pots will be over flowing.

At first I was just wondering if I should up end the pots and replant them back in the same pots with new potting soil. But now that I'm typing them I'm really thinking the bigger pots would be a good idea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Strawberry Plants?

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 17:22

I had strawberries that my mom brought to me from Idaho, I planted them in a 1/2 whiskey barrel, they were there a for like 2 years and pretty much ignored, abused and very sad...but they survived...I finally got them planted into soil and they took off, didn't miss a beat. You'd never know that they were so poor before. I'd just leave them alone and/or maybe put a light top layer of good soil/compost/mulch and some osmocote maybe? or use a liquid fert. at 1/2 strength and water them well, etc. until your beds are ready. they should be fine.

PS: I have also planted berries this year in a 5 gallon bucket and they are thriving. (pictured here about 2 weeks after they were planted, NOW, they all have flowers and berries forming...

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here