Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

borer beetles in oak

bagsmom
13 years ago

Hey gang. I have a big oak that needs to come down. It is infested with ambrosia beetles and is going to fall on my head one of these days.

My question is about removal of the tree. It is in a hard-to-get-out-of area of the yard. The greatest part of the expense in getting the tree down is in hauling the wood out. It's down in a wooded grove, with lots of magnolias, redbud, and dogwood.

Am I correct in thinking that I MUST have the tree taken down out of the property to avoid the beetles moving to other trees? I'd love to think I could just leave it there as a habitat for critters -- and something for my kids to jump over and balance on.... But it seems unwise to leave the beetles there.

THoughts?

Comments (5)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Have you had an arborist look at it? I would have 2-3 of them look at it and give you an opinion about how much needs to be removed. I would not trust just one opinion. I don't know the answer.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey esh!

An arborist looked at it a few years ago. We did a treatment to the tree and the soil -- to kill beetles and to strengthen the tree to resist and overcome. We gave it a shot, but it didn't work.

I've had a couple of arborists agree that the tree totally needs to go! It is dangerous. Very tall and totally rotten out at the base.

I sent an email to our extension office, but no answer as of yet.

Maybe I'll call -- or maybe someone else will chime in !

Thanks! :)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

You know - post on the trees forum too. Some very knowledgeable folks over there.

It would be nice to leave part of it there for critters and kids if there is no risk of spreading the bugs further. I'm sure sorry that happened!

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good idea! Thanks!!!!!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

We had part of a tree removed that was very tricky, just this year. They had to climb and use a bucket with a huge extension on it in combination. We had to prune 20% off the sides of two trees leaning way too far over our house. It was quite difficult but only took three men - one climbing and two navigating ropes to pull down the limbs. Where there was open space they made cuts for long branches. Where there was little space for anything to fall like between the houses, they had to very precariously send the smallest guy in a bucket extension and make many short cuts and guide them through the tree canopy with ropes. One extra long branch narrowly missed the neighbors deck but they did really well, and we were fine. I am hoping we were not too late and the trees stay rooted in the ground!
    So fear not, many of the really good reputable companies in Georgia can manage navigating very tricky spots by utilizing experienced climbers.

Sponsored