Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deadheading...salvia?

Posted by mk87 7b/8a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 20:27

Are you supposed to deadhead salvia (I have May Night) to keep it blooming all summer? If so, do you cut the flower stalk all the way down at the base, or just cut off the top part that is flowering?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deadheading...salvia?

Because I have a lot of them, I use a weed eater and whack off the top third. They are blooming again in a couple weeks.
I do give them a a shot of Miracle Grow after the whacking but I like Miracle Grow.
Otherwise if trimming individually, cut the stalk down to the next branching stems.

o

• Posted by mk87 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 6:48

beez -- Would you suggest deadheading (I only have three plants) individual stems as they blow their color? Or, waiting until ALL of the stems on a plant are done and then deadhead them all at the same time? I don't mind doing it individually (I do that with other perennials), but didn't know if one way would produce more color than the other.

o

I would do whatever you have time to do. Certainly removing each flower as it has faded would look better but it's not necessary.

You will have constant bloom without a lull period like I do if you regularly tend to them.

o

Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 20:29

bbeez -- Thanks! That's what I'll do then. I actually sort of enjoy the walk through the garden (it's not very large) and deadheading the perennials.

o

Tue, May 5, 09 at 18:39

bbeez -- (Sorry, I've been out of town...just getting back and getting back to GW...) One more question: I deadheaded the salvia before I went out of town. When I came back, they were blooming again (good!), but the flower stalks were all sort of short and not as nice and tall as they were before (not good?). Is that normal and how do I get them to bloom on taller stalks again?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here