Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jposs425

ground covers

jposs425
11 years ago

Hello! First post to this forum! I hope one of you can help me.

We're in Covington and have lived in our house just under 2 years. We're at the point where we need to get a handle on our front yard. I'd like suggestions or advice for a good ground cover that would ideally take minimal maintenance.

We have one large, well established magnolia tree near our driveway, then about 15 feet away (trunk to trunk) is a large oak tree. As you can imagine, the ground in between is fairly shady most of the day, but does get morning sun. I have one puny azalea near the oak tree, then a large bush--what I think is a forsythia to the right of the oak & azalea (opposite the magnolia). We trimmed the forsythia back a LOT last fall. It was overtaking the yard. It seems very hearty & even though it did not bloom as much this spring, it is full and green now.

So underneath the two trees, the ground is very "mulchy" from years and years of the previous owners adding to it every spring. There are a lot of tree roots above & very close to the surface and I'm at a loss as to what can grow there.
My brother who lives across the street has offered some of his hostas and phlox, but I am not sure if either will do well in that location. I don't think I can dig very deep with all the tree roots in the way.

I have also considered junipers and mexican heather. I'd like to have some color in the yard, but I'm at the point where ANYTHING besides the bare mulch would look better.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting