Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilacs

Posted by georgiapeach365 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 21:05

Does anyone know if there are lilacs that will grow and bloom in middle GA?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilacs

Of course there are... They sell them at garden centers if you can find a big one.

I for one don't really like the smell of Lilacs, but many people LOVE them.

o

I'm in NE Georgia and I have some lilacs. I had 5, but 2 died 2 years ago. I think from the hot dry weather. The ones I still have do bloom, but not as well as they do up north. It's totally dependent on how many chill hours you get over the winter. Also, they have a tendency to bud out if we get a warm spell in Jan or Feb and then that bud will get frosted out if it gets cold. This year, with the long cool spring, they didn't bud out until recently so I am hoping to have a nice bloom. There are varieties that do better in zone 8. I forget the names, but if you google it you can probably find them.

I do love the smell of lilac. So for me, just getting one or two blooms a year is nice. Right now I have some creeping phlox blooming and it does smell a lot like lilac. Very nice.

o

Oh wow... I work in a garden center, which is the DREAM JOB.. and we have a bunch of that phlox. also some of my neigh-boors have it and it makes a carpet and is BEAUTIFUL!!

I will have to smell it and compare it to lilacs, because we have both.

o

my lilacs are in bloom right now and the fragrance is overwhelming. If one wants a lilac that will do will in middle ga then Mrs KIM is the chose people stop by and some walking have ask me what do to make these so full and all i say is Mr Kim lilacs and plenty of mulch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here