Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamiof4

New to gardening and I think I have grub worms

mamiof4
14 years ago

Hi everyone I am a newbie and wanted to start a vegetable garden in my backyard. I was prepping the area I want to put the vegetable garden and I saw some grub worms. I really have no idea what they are but my mind immediatly went to the Japanese beatle but they could possibly be the June bug grub or really anthing else, I have no clue. I don't really know where to go from here. Does anyone know how I should treat the area or what I should do next? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Comments (14)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Japanese beetle grubs are usually in grassy areas as they feed on grass roots over the winter. They are generally pretty small (as grubs go).

If this area is not grassy, they are likely another type of beetle grub and my personal opinion is that you don't need to do anything with them (I do kill japanese beetle grubs that I find in the grass such as when I am edging my lawn - if you have a pond, fish love them).

Beetles are beneficial bugs (except for the japanese ones as far as I'm concerned) and can be left to go along their merry way. Remember that each bug has a job to do and that killing too many of one may result in other bugs not being kept in check. This may not apply to beetles, but when it comes to predator insects, killing them means that what they prey on can have a mini population explosion ....

So when you say you found some, how many did you find in a what size area?

And welcome to the forum, by the way!

• mamiof4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks I really like this site. I am learning a lot. The area is about 6 feet wide and 6 feet long and it was grass before I started digging up the lawn. I want to make it bigger,(I have a huge backyard that no one uses),but I got a little worried when I saw the grubs. I saw about 6 in the entire area while working today. Should I be concerned? I really want this to be a good learning experience for my kids and I want to gloat to my husband if I can make this work, lol. He is skepetical of my green thumb. We are city folk and this will be our first big gardening experience.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I get a few Japanese beetle grubs in my veggie beds overwintering under the tents. Probably one or two in each bed. I smash them.
    They won't eat my veggies. They will eat my roses. I don't worry too much about that though. I've not seen a Japanese beetle kill a rose or even my beautiful rose of sharon they disfigure every year. They are just annoying!

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

That is not a major infestation and now that we know it was grass before, that explains it. Now that you've removed the grass, those guys should not be back next year.

I'm sure you'll do fine. I don't do veggies myself, but GGG and others on this forum do and I know you can get some good advice. Don't overdo it your first year - you want to have some success and not be overwhelmed.

UGA's CAES page has lots of good publications on home gardening. Here is an alphabetical list - look under "H" for "home garden" stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Publications

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

My kids like to chuck the Japanese Beetle grubs into the woods!

I also found several HUGE grubs! I'm talking as fat as my finger! Does anyone know what these are? Freaky-deeky!

Welcome to the forum! There are so many nice people with such fantastic knowledge and experience -- you picked a great place to "hang out!"

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

The bigger the grub, the bigger the beetle! Maybe you found a grub for one of those large brown beetles ... or even a Rhinoceros beetle!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Rhinoceros beetle grub

• buford
    14 years ago

I often find grubs when I'm digging. Since I grow roses I hate japenese beetles, so I squish the grubs and I enjoy it!

You only treat for grubs if you notice your lawn disappearing. Most times you don't notice the grubs unless you dig.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I found a super sized grub in the garden today (not as big as that "humanure" grub there, Esh! YUCK!

I have no idea what this grub eats as a grub or what it is as an adult, but bu-bye!

• mamiof4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have been keeping a close eye on my vegetable garden and the grubs seem to have packed up and moved away. The kids had a good time collecting what they could find before we planted our vegetbles and took the grubs fishing last weekend. Two birds one stone cleaned the garden and saved some money on worms. I love this time of year.

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

Snoogie - NASTY! I'm not sure I'll be able to eat shrimp again!!!!!!!! You are right! I hadn't made that mental/visual connection before. Ewwwwwww.

• Kristin O'Neal
    9 years ago

I am a virgin gardener too. And like you, was digging up grass and weeds in the spot where I have planned to plant my veggies. I found a ton of the Japanese beetle grub worms. Of course I immediately Google info on grub worms and now I am horrified at some of the stories I've found online. Now I just really don't know what to do. There's no way I can dig them all up and squash them all! I mean I found at least 30-40 in an area about 7ft by 5ft. Any advice on how to kill them in less than a month before I plant my veggies??? Or am I screwed? Please respond.

• Tricia
    9 years ago

That is only about 1 grub per square foot. That is not too bad. As you are working in the garden just kill the ones you find. The quanitity of grubs present does not seem like enough to cause problems. There was a number I saw once that is considered tolerable per square foot. Unfortunately I don't remember what it was but it was more than 1 per square foot.

• killerv
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

a few are ok, if you are seeing atleast 6 per sqft you need to do something about them before it gets worse. I'm seeing more than ever this year. Put out a grub killer in late June, early July, this goes after the new larvae.

Sponsored